Experiential Learning Fund Guidelines
Students requesting funding must meet with a Career Services professional (make an appointment or meet during “Quick Questions”) before receiving the application. Please come in at least 6-8 weeks before funding is needed.
ACCEL’s funding mission is to provide financial resources for students who have been offered exceptional experiential learning opportunities not readily available at Allegheny and/or in Meadville. These opportunities must enhance learning that is already taking place in the classroom and be directly related to future goals. Experiential learning is defined as a component of the education process whereby students are active participants in activities that foster intentional reflection, acquisition of knowledge, skills and values.
Examples of Possible Projects Eligible for Funding: Non-Credit Internships; Service-Learning; Independent Research; International Volunteering or Internships; Academic Conferences where students are making significant presentations.
Guidelines for Funding
- Each experience must meet the three criteria for experiential learning:
- Acquisition of knowledge
- Active Participation
- Applicants are responsible for demonstrating how these criteria will be met and how student learning will be enhanced. Overall quality of the experience (and the proposal) is important.
- Funding will be given first to those projects that contribute to learning in a way not possible through existing programs. The learning experience must have administrative or faculty support.
- There are no guarantees for funding.
- Funding requests might include meals, housing, local transportation, registration fees, etc. These funds can not be used for air travel, personal entertainment, or souvenirs.
- Funds will not be awarded retroactively. Applications for funding must be received at least 6 weeks prior to the experience.
ACCEL-sponsored Experiential Learning Travel Seminars are not eligible for funding through this process as they are already subsidized through ACCEL.
Students may only receive funding for one opportunity per academic year. Priority will be given to students who have not received funding before.
Graduating seniors, students who are transferring or students embarking on cooperative programs are not eligible for funding.
Due to limited funding, requests made by groups may be limited.
Please come to ACCEL for an application packet and further information.