Arianna O’Connell ’18

Access Allegheny aims to educate first-year students on and acclimate them to their new home. This is especially helpful to those far from their homes, like Arianna O’Connell, originally from San Jose, CA.

“I wanted to leave California, to experience another part of the country, but I didn’t understand what it would mean to be so far from home, to live in an area much different than what I was used to.”

“Access Allegheny taught me the culture, step-by-step (we had opportunities to visit shops in Meadville and the County Fair) and valuable resources that have helped me survive on campus (before the first day of classes, I already knew where everything was, including the Health Center and Safety & Security).”

“Because of Access Allegheny, I feel much more secure in myself and my position in the world at large because I know where to go and who to talk to if I need help. At the end of the day, I appreciate that security the most.”

“The week I had here before others joined us on campus was the greatest opportunity to get acclimated. I recommend it to everyone. Deciding to be a part of Access Allegheny was one of the best decisions I ever made.”