Mariatu Kargbo ’17

Originally from Sierra Leone, Africa, a campus visit to Allegheny confirmed Mariatu (Maria) Kargbo’s decision to become a Gator.

“When I came here for the first time, I took a tour and loved the environment. I didn’t feel like I was just a visitor,” she says.

She had worries, though – just like so many first-year students do. Would she make friends? Would she be homesick? How would she fit into the campus culture? An invitation to apply to Access Allegheny! helped to quell these fears.

“Access Allegheny! offers you a family base… a home away from home. It’s nice to know that some one cares how you’re feeling. The program brought me to reality, helped me to understand what Allegheny is all about and what I was going to experience.”

Maria is now well on her way to academic success. She’s decided on a double major in Political Science and Managerial Economics with Minor in Philosophy.

Just finishing her first year, she has already discovered the advantage of being a Gator.

“At Allegheny, you have a chance to be more than just you. You become a well-rounded student, academically and otherwise. Exposed to a lot of diversity, you don’t lose yourself, rather you find yourself,” she explains. “So many of the organizations on campus are about diversity, respecting others, becoming more accepting of who people are… about moving towards a positive future.”

After graduation, Maria plans to pursue graduate study in Business and Law. Her ultimate goal is to become a trial lawyer. She’s confident she will get there and is thankful for the extra boost she’s been given through Access Allegheny!

For future Gators who have the opportunity to join Access Allegheny!, she offers, “It’s a better way to transition into college life.”