Khalia Thompson ’15

Major: Environmental Science
Minor: English

thompsonk@allegheny.edu

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA

College Search Advice:
Experience each campus for yourself if possible, and make your own conclusions about schools based upon what you take from the experience.

A Favorite Allegheny Memory:
During my recent surgery, my advisor emailed me regularly and even sent me flowers while I was in the hospital. The professors really care about you as a student and a person. Allegheny’s campus is a close knit community.

Favorite Place On Campus:
Carr Hall

Research:
I conducted two independent studies on the aquaponics systems located in Carr Hall with Professor Eatmon. Aquaponics use fish waste to grow plants in a recirculating system. My research focused on nurtrient levels in the system to make sure that there was a balance so that the fish and plants could thrive. I also looked at the economic, and social side of aquaponic systems, how communities integrate these systems, and how profitable they are.

Why I Came to Allegheny:
I chose Allegheny because I wanted a small liberal arts school that could help me grow as a person and help me become well versed in the environmental sciences. Allegheny is well known for its Environmental Science department and its dedication to being sustainable.