Our Volunteers

Thank you to all of our volunteers serving as Class Agents and reunion committee members! To find your class volunteers, select your class year below. If you are interested in serving Allegheny as an agent for your class, please contact a member of our staff at classagents@allegheny.edu.

2009-2013

2014

Jordan El-Sabeh ’14jordan_elsabeh 10-29-14 CROPPED

jaelsabeh@gmail.com

Current City: Arlington, VA

Major: Economics

Job Title: Junior Investment Performance Associate at Cambridge Associates

Campus Organizations: Phi Gamma Delta, Economics Society

What my Allegheny education means to me: To put it simply, I cherished my time at Allegheny. Not only was I able to get what I regard as a top-of-the line education, I also became a part of an entirely new community. My college experience taught me about myself and prepared me to confidently seek out future endeavors.

Why I give back: I never would have been able to attend Allegheny if it weren’t for the donations from the alumni. Giving back to the school, regardless of the amount, helps sustain a long-lasting impact at Allegheny, and I hope future students can have the same experience as I did.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: As an alumnus, I feel responsible to give back. I love to reminisce with graduates about our time at Allegheny and the great opportunities our alma mater has to offer.

2013

Aaron HaagAaron Haag ’13

haaga2013@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Biology

Job Title: Research Assistant

Campus Organizations: Phi Kappa Psi, Interfraternal Council, Health Advisory Committee, Colleges Against Cancer

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education has taught me to always be willing to learn. Taking different classes in multiple categories has allowed me to not only learn in the class better, but also in the world. It has opened my mind to the world.

Why I give back: To give others the same opportunity I had. My time at Allegheny has been life changing, and I give back to offer others the same experience.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent to keep in contact with my friends from college and also to express to them my love for the College.

nicolehogan

Nicole Hogan ’13

hogan.47@wright.edu

Current City: Fairborn, OH

Major: Biochemistry

Job Title: Medical Student

Campus Organizations: Chemii, Circle K, Pre-Health Club, Phonathon, Annual Fund Department

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny gave me experiences I couldn’t have had anywhere else. The support I had there, the friends I made, and the things I learned were instrumental in shaping the person I am today.

Why I give back: I firmly believe I wouldn’t be where I am today without my Allegheny experience. I give back to pay that experience forward to future students.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I want to help spread the word about how important it is to give back to Allegheny — and to future generations of Gators!

Stephanie Mancine ’13Stephanie Mancine 10-24-14 CROPPED

stephanie.m.mancine@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Political Science

Job Title: Business Analyst

Campus Organizations: Alpha Chi Omega, Senior Class Gift Committee, Pre-Law Club, Newman Club, Service Saturdays

What my Allegheny education means to me: When you have the ability to analyze, create, and envision new ideas the possibilities are endless. Allegheny College fosters and develops those skills within each student and still provides the opportunity to explore unique interests. Allegheny provided me with countless opportunities to grow intellectually and personally.

Why I give back: Allegheny helped me grow into a young professional and well-rounded person. I want to help give that opportunity to the generations to come.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I love my alma mater, and I want to help it continue to thrive!

stephanie_northwoodStephanie Northwood ’13

stephaniebnorthwood@gmail.com

Current City: Washington, DC

Major: Political Science

Job Title: Intern at U.S. House of Representatives

Campus Organizations: Delta Delta Delta, Senior Class Gift, Phonathon

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education prepared me for more than a job; it prepared me for life. I learned outside of the classroom, as well as inside it. The people I met and the friends I made have influenced me as a person and will last a lifetime.

Why I give back: So that future Gators will have the same opportunities I had at Allegheny and to inform prospective students across the country of all the College has to offer.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: To maintain strong ties to the College and also to share my passion for its cause with my classmates.

Sarah_NovakSarah Novak ’13

sjnovak91@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Psychology

Job Title: Development Associate at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, Honor Committee, Phonathon, Senior Class Gift Committee, Alpha Phi Omega, Relay for Life

What my Allegheny education means to me: I would not be where I am today without my Allegheny education. Allegheny taught me how to think, how to lead, and how to manage my time, which prepared me well for life after graduation. I also met some incredible people along the way who helped me become the person I am today.

Why I give back: During my time at Allegheny, I was a student caller and supervisor at the Phonathon and a member of the Senior Class Gift Committee. Both of these expereinces taught me the importance of giving back in whatever way I can to ensure that all future Allegheny students can have the same incredible expereinces and opportunites that I had when I was a student.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I want to encourage my classmates and other alumni to give back to Allegheny in whatever way they can because every gift of every size matters and helps ensure that Allegheny can continue to be a top-notch liberal arts school!

Marla SacksMarla Sacks ’13

sacksm@allegheny.edu

Current City: Greensburg, PA

Major: Physics

Job Title: Medical School Student

Campus Organizations: ASG, Hillel, Alpha Delta Pi, Bands (Wind Symphony, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Trombone Ensemble), GFC, Astronomy Club, I Heart Meadville, Equestrian Club

What my Allegheny education means to me: Education goes beyond the classroom. During my four years at Allegheny, I was able to bolster my in-class education with experiences that taught me through volunteer opportunities, an EL seminar, research, peer leading, and conversations over dinner with friends, faculty, and administrators.

Why I give back: I understand that I need to help pay my education forward. Very few students pay the entire amount that an Allegheny education costs, so it is important for me to give back so that all of the wonderful opportunities I had can be there for future Alleghenians.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Being a Class Agent means that I can stay connected with both Allegheny and my fellow classmates in the goal to support Allegheny. I want to reach out to those who could not or did not know about giving to the Annual Fund last year and encourage them to consider donating.

Taisha Thomas ’13Taisha Thomas 11-11-14

mailto:taisha.thomas@gmail.com

Current City: West Babylon, NY

Major: Psychology

Job Title: Student (Master’s in Mental Health Counseling)

Campus Organizations: WARC, Phonathon, Gator Rugby,  Intramural Sports, Alpha Chi Omega

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education means so much more to me than the piece of paper I have telling me I went there. It was my home for four years with friends who eventually grew to be family. Allegheny shaped who I am today and not only gave me the tools to be successfu,l but also taught me how to use them. I cannot thank Allegheny enough for the skills it gave me to think outside the box and look at issues from a different perspective. Allegheny turns students into social thinkers, which has given me a head up in my endeavors.

Why I give back: I give back with the hopes that a student will have amazing memories, make lasting friends, and receive a top-notch education like I did at Allegheny.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: During my time at Allegheny, I was able to reach out to many people not only in my class, but also across the community, and I want to continue those relationships.

2012

Philip Anthony ’12

philipa@bgsu.edu

Zeben Ashton ’12

zashton@allegheny.edu

Current City: Meadville, PA

Major: Communication Arts/Women’s Studies

Job Title/Occupation: Allegheny College Admissions Counselor

Campus Organizations: Phi Delta Theta, College Republicans, First-year Orientation, Varsity Swimming and Diving, Admissions, Orchesis Dance Company, Allegheny Student Government

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education means the world to me. Allegheny allowed me to explore my interests and has encouraged me not to keep my passion for liberal arts education to myself but to actively promote what it can do for others. The opportunities that were afforded to me as an Allegheny student allowed me to gain the professionalism and experience to be effective in whatever I choose to do. Allegheny certainly has opened doors for me into other academic institutions. With Allegheny’s recognized leadership in continually being an example of what colleges should be doing, I am able to use my experiences to better higher education as a whole.

Why I give back: I give back because I want future generations to have the same, if not greater, experiences than have been made available to me due to the generous donations of alumni in the past. It is the responsibility of every single Allegheny alum to make sure that our institution remains a vibrant community for the development and growth of the knowledge in our ever-changing world.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent because I want to make the idea of giving back less intimidating and instead encourage alums to look back and put value on their invaluable experiences they had at Allegheny.

Katherine Bowser ’12

kmbowser2012@gmail.com

Current City: Bowling Green, OH

Major: Neuroscience

Job Title: Graduate Student and Assistant Director of Service-Learning at Bowling Green State University

Campus Organizations: Davies Community Service Leader, Gator Activities Programming, Senior Class Gift Committee

What my Allegheny education means to me: Ben Burtt ’70, distinguished Allegheny alumnus, said, “the liberal arts education I received was the ideal foundation.” I could not agree more. The beauty of a liberal arts education allowed me to explore a plethora of seemingly unrelated interests. My professors were top notch, but Allegheny takes education a step further and emphasizes experiential learning as well. The out-of-classroom experiences – Davies Leader at the Chamber of Commerce, Gator Activities Programming, the Nicaragua EL seminar and more – have afforded me invaluable skills that will last a lifetime. Allegheny doesn’t just open the door to a career; it offers students the world.

Why I give back: Allegheny gave me the most meaningful and impactful four years of my life. I donate because even the smallest gifts turn into priceless experiences for the current generation of Gators.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: We quote him often, but David Hoag ’60 really hit the nail on the head: “The only owners of Allegheny College are the alumni. There is no city, state or profession to worry about us. We are all there is. If we don’t do it, no one else will.” I serve as a Class Agent because I recognize the importance of giving, and I want others to understand that donations aid Allegheny both directly and indirectly. Dollars from donors go directly to scholarships, academic programs, campus activities, etc. What many people don’t realize, though, is that the percentage of alumni donors, regardless of the dollar amount, is extremely important to an institution. Large donors – people, foundations, corporations, etc. – often look to the percentage of donors, because high alumni involvement is indicative of a strong institution. It also plays into national rankings. It is an exciting time for Allegheny as our national visibility is continually increasing. Let’s continue strengthening our degrees by giving back to the institution that has given so much to us.

Elizabeth Deemer

Elizabeth Deemer ’12

deemer.elizabeth@gmail.com

Current City: Oil City, PA

Major: Psychology

Job Title: Therapeutic Staff Support for North Star Behavioral Health

Campus Organizations: Alpha Chi Omega Sorority, Allegheny College Cheerleading, Student Experimental Theatre, College Democrats, Invisible Children, Young Feminists Leadership Alliance

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny experience was more than four years and a degree. It was an education that made me into the person I am. Everywhere I go and every conversation I participate in, I label myself as the proud graduate of one of the top liberal arts colleges in the nation. I could not be more proud to be an alumna of Allegheny College.

Why I give back: Because Allegheny gave me the tools I needed to be the best person I am today. It’s only fair that I give back.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: It’s not only important to encourage my own class to give back, but to create momentum to give back. As class agents we have the ability to grow this momentum, share the opportunity with our classmates and friends. Allegheny alumni have so much pride in their alma mater, and we’re here to remind them it’s time to “pay it forward” for the future of the college.

Carolina DiPerna ’12

carolinediperna@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Psychology

Job Title/Occupation: M.S. Ed. Candidate Duquesne University

Campus Organizations: Tri Delta, Lambda Sigma, Senior Class Gift, Peer Leader, Phonathon

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny College education was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I know I will never get those fun, RIGOROUS, sleep-deprived four years back; however, I hope to continue my involvement with Allegheny by being a Class Agent, returning to my alma mater from time to time, and spreading the word about the College that surely does change lives. Not only did I continue a tradition of legacy within my family by attending Allegheny, I received a wonderful education that helped me to land a job right after graduation. I also was lucky to have my sisters transfer to Allegheny for my senior year, making life even better having the ones I love on campus. I will cherish my memories, friendships, and experiences from Allegheny forever. Although growing old is not always fun, I at least look forward to being in the shoes of one of those 85-year old alumnae whom I had the pleasure of driving around on golf carts during Reunion Weekend this past year.

Why I give back: I give back and act as a Class Agent because of everything that Allegheny did for me. The College helped my family through scholarships, prepared me with a skill set to advance into the working world, and made sure I was a person–not an ID number–on my AllCard. It is time now for me (and others!) to give back so those after me can have a chance at all that I did and can go on to make a difference in the world. Allegheny instills the importance of community in its students, and that is something that, in addition to a degree, we can all take back to our hometowns and put to good use.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: That is why I’m a Class Agent; I may be graduated, but I’m still connected!

Karen Feltz ’12karen_feltz

karenefeltz@gmail.com

Current City: Phoenix, AZ

Major: Environmental Studies

Job Title: Admissions Counselor for the University of Arizona

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Alpha Phi Omega Fraternity

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education has prepared me for a great career. I am able to be clear and articulate in written communications and in presentations. I understand how to problem-solve in tough situations. I truly appreciate the friends and mentors I gained through my Allegheny experience.

Why I give back: I give back to allow Allegheny to provide the same world-class education to future Gators. I give back to increase Allegheny’s national prestige.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent to give back to a school that gave me so much. I feel that one of the most important aspects of the Allegheny way is to pay it forward.

Andrew Glod ’12

ajglod@gmail.com

Robert Hippert ’12

Robert Hippert 10-9-14

robhippert@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Economics

Job Title: Account Analyst

Campus Organizations: Golf Team, Phi Kappa Psi

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny provided an opportunity to learn and grow as an individual, and the platform to succeed in post-college endeavors.

Why I give back: I think it is important to continue to support the College that has given us the ability to succeed.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: To help everyone understand the importance and benefit to continuing to grow the College.

Alina Meltaus ’12

alina.meltaus@gmail.com

Current City: Washington, DC

Major: Political Science

Job Title: Constituent Correspondence Manager for Senator Bob Casey

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, Allegheny Student Government, Office of Admissions

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny provided the perfect comforts and challenges expected of an undergraduate education; I had the freedom to pursue the subjects that were most interesting to me, but also expanded my academic horizons in ways I didn’t think possible. Beyond my education in the classroom, Allegheny gave me the skills I needed to succeed in the workplace and in life. My most valuable takeaways from my four years in Meadville were often learned in my professors’ office hours, in late-night ASG meetings or in recruitment events for Theta. Above all, I found amazing lifelong friends at Allegheny, and our shared experiences on campus built a solid foundation for our ever-growing relationships.

Why I give back: Allegheny gave more to me than a monetary donation could ever convey, but I give back because it is one of the most concrete ways that I can support the school I love. As a recent graduate, I’m using small and frequent donations as a way to ensure that our College continues to give students the same incredible experience that I had.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I chose to serve as a Class Agent as a way to make sure that Allegheny continues to get support from the Class of 2012 and from our alumni in general. Most of the opportunities we enjoyed at Allegheny wouldn’t have been possible without the support of alumni, so we are the newest group of former students who can help continue the legacy of excellence that Allegheny students enjoy. No donation is too small – even $5 will make a big difference. I hope to support current and future Gators however I can.

Dominic Meyer ’12Dominic Meyer 9-23-14

meyer62@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Art and Technology

Job Title: Sales Consultant

Campus Organizations: Art Club, Geology Club, Italian Club, Allegheny Student Government.

What my Allegheny education means to me: Attending Allegheny was so much more than going to lectures and taking exams. Building relationships with my classmates and professors helped me develop strong interpersonal skills. The sleepless nights while cramming for exams, attending athletic events to show school pride and taking part in extra curricular activities are all a part of the Allegheny experience. Any memory I have of Allegheny is a great one, even trudging to class in what seemed to be an arctic tundra. Times got tough, but you learned to keep your head up and to keep moving forward. If it wasn’t for my Allegheny experience I doubt that I would be the person I am today.

Why I give back: Allegheny has molded me to the young professional I am today. Rather than looking at it as a monetary donation, I view it as ensuring that Allegheny thrives. My annual contribution provides incoming students an opportunity through grants and scholarships to attend Allegheny and receive the same great education I did.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I chose to serve as a Class Agent because I cannot preach enough about Allegheny and how great it is. It’s a small way to show how truly appreciative I am for everything Allegheny has provided for me.

John Milligan ’12John Milligan

jam350@pitt.edu

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Chemistry

Job Title: Graduate Student

Campus Organizations: Delta Tau Delta, Allegheny Christian Outreach, CHEMII

What my Allegheny education means to me: In four short years at Allegheny, I grew from a naive high school graduate with a limited scientific knowledge to a college graduate who is passionate about scientific research. You really can’t put a price tag on an experience like that: growing so rapidly under the instruction of faculty who are truly passionate about undergraduate education.

Why I give back: I was a first-generation student, thus college appeared to me as financially intimidating. If it were not for the financial aid I received, funded in part by generous alumni, I’m not sure I would have had the same Allegheny experience. I give back in the hope that I can in turn help to build a bridge for a young person in a similar position to mine.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I think that there is a misconception that only those who are well established should be donors. To the contrary, I believe that it reflects the energy and character of Allegheny when alumni of all ages give even a modest contribution. I am a Class Agent because I want to share this message with my classmates.

Michelle Perry ’12

perry.michelle@medstudent.pitt.edu

Bethany Silinski ’12bethany silinski

bjsilinski@gmail.com

Current City: Washington, DC

Major: Neuroscience

Job Title:  Associate Director of the CUA Fund, The Catholic University of America.

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Senior Class Gift Committee, Admissions, Phone-a-thon

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny has been included in the very influential college guidebook, Colleges That Change Lives, year after year. I can now say after spending four years at Allegheny that this title could not be more accurate. The variety of opportunities available to me inside and outside of the classroom at Allegheny helped to change my life for the better. Having received an outstanding liberal arts education, I feel that I can be successful in whatever career field I choose. Even after graduation I continue to receive support from Allegheny’s top-notch faculty and staff. Allegheny isn’t just a four-year experience; it fosters long-term relationships and opens the doors to lifelong learning and growth.

Why I give back: I want to help ensure that future students will have the same amazing opportunities that were available to me during my time at Allegheny. I am so thankful for the alumni who came before me and gave back to Allegheny, ensuring I could have the experiences that I did. I also give back to help continue Allegheny’s legacy. Strong alumni involvement is the only way to ensure that Allegheny will continue to grow.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Outside of giving back to Allegheny financially, I see serving as a Class Agent as one of the easiest ways I can give back to the school which gave me so much. I hope that by serving as a Class Agent, I can excite the alumni of the Class of 2012, as well as all GOLD alumni, and inspire them to give back to Allegheny. The only way Allegheny can continue to be the outstanding institution that it is, is through alumni support and contributions year after year.

Abby Sorensen ’12Abby Sorensen 9-18-14

asorensen@allegheny.edu

Current City: Erie, PA

Major: Women’s Studies

Job Title: Marketing & Events Project Manager at Jameson Publishing and Assistant Men’s & Women’s Golf Coach at Allegheny College

Campus Organizations: Golf Team, Residence Life, The Campus

What my Allegheny education means to me: I tell our golf recruits that my Allegheny education helped me “learn how to learn,” which is certainly a lifelong skill. I use my liberal arts foundation each and every day and have explored career opportunities after graduation that I never even imagined while I was a student. Allegheny taught me to balance my time, appreciate critical thinking, value self-discovery, and collaborate effectively with others.

Why I give back: As crazy as it sounds, I enjoy paying my student loans each month because I am so appreciative of the experience afforded to me at Allegheny. Without the support of others, my education would not have been possible, so I give back so future Gators can reap the benefits of our fantastic liberal arts experience.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I quickly learned after graduation that work and life in the real world make it harder than ever to stay connected with my classmates. I want my classmates to know that they don’t have to sacrifice an entire paycheck to make a difference in the lives of future Gators.

2011

Dan Donahoe ’11Dan Donahoe 8-19-14

daniel.r.donahoe@gmail.com

Current City: Rockville, MD

Major: Political Science

Job Title/Occupation: Paralegal – Federal Government

Campus Organizations: Delta Tau Delta, Allegheny Student Government, Newman, Peer Leader, Writing Consultant

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny career is what prepared me for where I am right now. The rigorous course load, professors who cared, and administrators who wanted students to succeed created the perfect environment for me to learn and grow. Paired with the education was an amazing student body, from which I made some of my closest friends. Without them, I don’t know how I would have made it through the sleepless nights, perpetual blizzards, or endless stacks of homework. Allegheny opened more than just doors for me – it opened friendships and memories that will never be forgotten.

Why I give back: Allegheny provided me with more opportunities than any other college could have possibly offered. Without Allegheny, I would never have met my best friends, made so many unforgettable memories, or have been as well prepared for the “real world” as I am now. I want all future Allegheny students to have those same chances and opportunities, and I know that my gift helps ensure that those Gators who come after me get the same opportunities.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Alum David Hoag ’60 said: “The only owners of Allegheny College are the alumni. There is no city, state, or profession to worry about us. We are all there is. If we don’t do it, no one else will.” I believe that it is up to the alumni to guarantee the future is bright for our alma mater and future generations of students. As a Class Agent, I feel as if I am in a position to contribute meaningfully to the future success of Allegheny and its students.

Bethany Gigante Eppig ’11Bethany Eppig Gigante 8-28-14

bethany.m.g.eppig@gmail.com

Current City: Lakewood, OH

Major: Environmental Science

Job Title: Natural Resources Program Manager/Environmental Engineer

Campus Organizations: Delta Delta Delta, Allegheny Ambassador, Healthy Homes-Healthy Children

What my Allegheny education means to me: The well-rounded education I received at Allegheny included so much more than completing the courses. The experiences I had, both in class and in my social networks, prepared me to balance many different types of projects. This experience was imperative to my success as I tackled a graduate program in environmental science, working full time as a natural resources program manager, and volunteering to mentor high school students in the science, technology, engineering and math fields.

Why I give back: Without Allegheny, I would not be where I am today. The research skills I learned during the senior composition project made my work stand out during all of my internships, as well as during my graduate program. My success in those programs resulted in my career at NASA, the publication of my graduate thesis, and recognition by the Cleveland National Technical Association Chapter. Many of my great experiences at Allegheny, including scholarships, improved campus buildings, support of departmental projects, and support of student activities, were made possible by the support of the alumni.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I fully recognize that my experiences at Allegheny would have been far less without the support of our alumni. Alumni help make it possible for students to even begin the Allegheny experience by providing financial assistance. Beyond grants and financial support for students, we keep the College safe and running by providing building upgrades. We help keep those strolls down Brooks Walk beautiful. Behind the scenes, we are helping to make those memories.

Sara Hillman ’11

hillman.sara@gmail.com

LeAnne Kurela ’11leanne_kurela Cropped

leanne.r.kurela@vanderbilt.edu

Current City: Nashville, TN

Major: Neuroscience

Job Title: Ph.D. Student, Vanderbilt Brain Institute, Vanderbilt University

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Panhellenic Council, Lambda Sigma, Allegheny Residence Life, Experiential Learning Term (Nicaragua), Alternative Spring Breaks

What my Allegheny education means to me: The education I received throughout my time at Allegheny encompasses four years of experiences in and out of the classroom. My in-class and in-lab education provided me with the information and skills I needed to continue on my chosen career path. The foundation of knowledge I received prepared me for graduate school at a top-notch university. I have witnessed firsthand that this foundation is essential, and that there is no school that provides such a well-rounded and comprehensive foundation like Allegheny. While this part of education is important, it is not all that I took away from my time at Allegheny. The experiences I had volunteering in the community, exploring through experiential learning courses, learning from others, communicating and debating topics with others, and building and growing together cannot be replaced by any other learning experience in my life. These experiences, along with the in-class learning, have molded me into the individual that I am today. For that, my Allegheny education means everything to me.

Why I give back: I give back because I am proud. I am proud to be an Allegheny alumna, and I tell others about my experiences every chance I get. I am proud of the legacy that Allegheny has in its 200 years as a college and want to be part of continuing that legacy for at least another 200 years to come. The only way for this to happen is with the support of the students, both current and of years gone by.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent as a way to continue supporting Allegheny. I am excited to continue to be a small part of the support system of the school that has shaped me into who I am today.

Matthew Lacombe ’11

Matthew Lacombe 9-5-14

matthewjlacombe@gmail.com

Current City: Chicago, IL

Major: Political Science and Economics

Job Title: Political Science Ph.D. Student, Northwestern University

Campus Organizations: Varsity Cross Country and Track, Center for Political Participation Student Fellow, Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Sigma Alpha

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny is where I grew up and made my closest friends. While there, I developed not only a robust skill set, but also a fervent sense of intellectual curiosity. I’m now pursuing an academic career of my own due in no small part to the encouragement of several Allegheny faculty members who consistently motivated and inspired me during my time in Meadville.

Why I give back: As a proud Allegheny graduate and a recipient of financial aid, I feel a duty to give back to the College. Contributions enable enhancements to the overall quality of student life. They also help replenish, sustain, and grow the financial aid fund. Finally, alumni contributions crucially assist Allegheny in its continued efforts to enhance the national reputation of the College – efforts that have the potential to pay dividends for graduates by increasing the value of their diplomas throughout the country.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: It’s easy for all of us to quickly and thoughtlessly disregard the fliers and emails from the College encouraging us to contribute. I hope to play a small part in altering that pattern by engaging with fellow alums on a more personal level.

Derek McMahan ’11

dmcmahan92@gmail.com

Current City: Greensburg, PA

Major: International Studies and Spanish

Job Title/Occupation: Deployment Planner at H.J. Heinz Company

Campus Organizations: Varsity Football, Volunteer Service Leader at the Meadville Soup Kitchen, Alternative Spring Breaks, Student Athletic Advisory Council (SAAC), Peer Leader, Lambda Sigma, and Phi Sigma Iota

What my Allegheny education means to me: My four years at Allegheny gave me a fantastic education and have led to great alumni connections. Looking back, I couldn’t have made a better choice. My football and study abroad experiences allowed me to grow so much in four years and meet awesome people. After my four years I know the saying is true – “It’s always a great day to be a Gator” – and I hope my volunteering will help other students have a similar Allegheny experience.

Why I give back: We are all part of the next generation of leaders at Allegheny. It’s not about the amount you donate, but rather the idea of giving. Donating shows faith in Allegheny and a desire to see it succeed over a long period of time. Because Allegheny means so much to me, I want it to continue to offer student programs and grow as an institution.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I want Allegheny to be around for another 200 years. Without an increase to the Annual Fund and alumni volunteers, Allegheny’s viability will be threatened. It is the Class Agents’ job to move the alumni forward and help increase Annual Fund participation and awareness.

Jennifer Reinwald ’11Jennifer Reinwald 8-28-14

jennifer.reinwald@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Communication Arts

Job Title: Teaching Fellow in the Department of Communication at the University of Pittsburgh

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Lambda Pi Eta, Phi Sigma Iota, Playshop Theatre, Playshop Technical Theatre

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny introduced me to a field of study that I had little to no knowledge of prior to coming to campus and sparked a passion in me to think critically about the world in which I live. In addition to shaping me academically, Allegheny helped me build confidence in every aspect of my life. Overcoming my shyness in class has helped me be confident in job interviews and in teaching.

Why I give back: I give back because Allegheny is a major part in the success I have had in graduate school. Allegheny taught me how to manage time, write strong papers, and how to get involved beyond the classroom. I know that the resources I had at my disposal were available in part because of alumni support, and I want to make sure I do my part to give the same, if not better, opportunities to students who come after me.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: As a graduate student, I understand living on a tight budget. I serve as a Class Agent because I understand the importance of giving back to Allegheny, even if it is only $5. I want to encourage other students to give what they can rather than feel like they can’t donate because they can only afford $5 or $10.

sam schulzSamantha Schulz ’11

samantha.m.schulz14@gmail.com

Current City: Berea, OH

Major: English

Job Title: Graduate Intern for Student Success Initiatives/First-Year Experience at Baldwin Wallace University

Campus Organizations: ACO, FCA, GAP, Senior Gift Committee, Conference and Event Services (student employee), Wind Symphony, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny was my home for four years. The institution and the people at it gave me the opportunities and support to grow and expand my knowledge in a personal way. I was not just an English major with minors in history and psychology; I was a unique individual. My education at Allegheny gave me the broad skills needed to be successful and bold, no matter what I go on to do.

Why I give back: I think that every student deserves the amazing experiences and opportunities that I received during my time at Allegheny. Allegheny will always be a part of who I am, and I want to recognize that and show my gratitude.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I understand how everyone gets busy with their own lives post-grad, but I also know that, given the right opportunity or pitch, we all owe a lot to our undergraduate institution and want to give back, even if we don’t think we can do anything major.

Christine Wagner ’11  Christine Wagner 8-21-14

ca_wagner@me.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Mathematics

Job Title: Billing Coordinator/Paralegal

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Peer Leader, Resident Advisor, Choir (College Choir, Chamber Choir, Chamber Singers, Women’s Chorus), Allegheny Ambassadors and the Ambassadors Leadership Committee, Ballroom Dance, Meadville Community Theatre, Academy Theatre

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny means so much to me beyond simply the value of my degree. It was a place full of people who supported and inspired me, helping me to be successful and shaping the person I am today. It allowed me to encounter so many more experiences and opportunities than I would have elsewhere. Allegheny helped me to discover and foster new skills, new interests, new friends, and a renewed confidence in myself – all of which will truly last a lifetime.

Why I give back: I will never forget all of the advantages that Allegheny provided me, and I am glad that I am able to give back to an institution that gave me so much. Allegheny truly allowed me to flourish, and I would love nothing more than to see future generations of Gators do the same. I know that my gift makes a direct impact on current and future Alleghenians, providing them access to the same amazing opportunities I had and keeping our alma mater strong.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Allegheny’s reputation is a reflection of its students, past and present, and I want it to always express good things about the Allegheny community. Being a Class Agent is just one way I can help work toward that goal. As alumni, we know that there is no place better than Allegheny, but it is our job to help future generations see that as well. Alumni support is the easiest and best way to show that “We Are Allegheny” – and that is a great thing to be. 

2010 5th Reunion Committee Members

Brittany Bell ’10

brittanybell10@gmail.com

Maria D’Antonio ’10

maria.dantonio88@gmail.com

Benjamin Eyer ’10

eyerb10@gmail.com

Emily Fidago ’10

efidago@gmail.com

Brett Fuchs, Chair ’10

brett.fuchs@gmail.com

Nicole Fuhrman ’10

n.fuhrman@icloud.com

Kristyn Gumpper ’10

kgumpper@gmail.com

Rachel Higgins ’10

Ms.RachelWHiggins@gmail.com

Liz Kozub ’10

elizabeth.kozub@gmail.com

Brittany Lanahan ’10

brittany.lanahan@gmail.com

Anne Leonard ’10

aleonard@allegheny.edu

Emily Lewis ’10

emilykatherinelewis@gmail.com

Macae Lintelman ’10

macaelintelman@gmail.com

Kara Martin ’10

karamartin11@gmail.com

Caitlin O’Brien-Rice ’10

cobrienrice@gmail.com

Michael Peroski ’10

michael.peroski@gmail.com

Melissa Porter ’10

portermelissa2@gmail.com

Nerissa Rau ’10

nerissarau@gmail.com

Aarish Riaz ’10

aarish.riaz@gmail.com

Sam Rigotti ’10

sam.rigotti@gmail.com

Julio Rivera ’10

julio@jriveragroup.com

David Siekkinen ’10

siekkid@gmail.com

Rodney Still, Jr. ’10

rstilljr@gmail.com

Joel Suen ’10

jmsuen@tepper.cmu.edu

Moin Syed ’10

moinsyedm@gmail.com

Katy Orchowski Zorich ’10

orchowski3@upmc.edu

2004-2008

2009

Molly Hanlon ’09molly hanlon 9-26-14

hanlonmt@gmail.com

Current City: State College, PA

Major: Biochemistry

Job Title: Ph.D. Student in Plant Biology, Pennsylvania State University

Campus Organizations: Swimming and Diving Team, Admissions Tour Guide

What my Allegheny education means to me: My time at Allegheny changed my perspectives on life and resulted in a professional trajectory that I would have never predicted, but now would never change. I made lifelong friends and collected innumerable memories. I wouldn’t be who I am today without Allegheny.

Why I give back: I want everyone to have the type of formative and enriching experience that I had at Allegheny. Every contribution helps to give someone this opportunity.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I really believe in the education and community of Allegheny, and I tell everyone I know about it. Reminding my friends about this and turning our memories into donations seems like a no-brainer.

Sarah McAfoose ’09

Sarah McAfoose 9-18-14

sarah.mcafoose@yahoo.com

Current City: Bloomington, IN

Major: Music/Women’s Studies

Job Title: Advancement Specialist

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi Omega, Choir, Women’s Ensemble, Wind Symphony

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny gave me the building blocks to successfully complete two graduate degrees. The friendships, mentors, and connections I made during those four years have continued well beyond my collegiate years. I am always proud to tell people I have an Allegheny education.

Why I give back: Working in development and alumni relations, I know many reasons why it’s important to give back. But the real reason is because I want to continue to give to a school that continually gives so much to me.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent to both catch up and keep in contact with former classmates and to continue my connection with my alma mater.

Laura Summers ’09Laura Summers 11-11-14

laurella.summers@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Political Science

Job Title: Supervisor of Prevention Services

Campus Organizations: Gator Rowing, Allegheny Student Government

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny prepared me for a myriad of opportunities since graduation and gave me the critical-thinking skills necessary to be successful.

Why I give back: I give back to Allegheny because I want this experience to be available for generations to come. Allegheny is more than just four years earning a degree; it’s where lifelong friendships are built and intelligence sharpened.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I’m glad to serve as a Class Agent because I want to participate in a meaningful way toward a school that gave so much to me.

Ashlee Lang Sydlik ’09

ashlee_sydlik 9-18-14

Ashleenicolelang@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Neuroscience and Psychology

Job Title: Testing Coordinator – Academic and Cognitive Testing

Campus Organizations: Allegheny Student Government, Alpha Delta Pi, Panhellenic Council, Grounds For Change, Senior Class Gift Committee, Learning Commons Writing Consultant

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny experience allowed me to explore many interests while receiving a top-notch liberal arts education. Allegheny gave me incredible leadership opportunities and lifelong friends. My Allegheny education prepared me to enter the “real world” with the skills to succeed professionally while mutually valuing civic engagement.

Why I give back: I give back because I am so grateful for my collegiate experience. I want to play a small part to help create memorable Allegheny experiences for future Gators.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I know how proud Allegheny graduates are of our “Allegheny Advantage.” Encouraging others to share their Allegheny pride while increasing alumni giving are my goals. I am especially excited to serve Allegheny during its Bicentennial celebration year.

Brandon Tirpak ‘09

brandon.jon86@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Spanish

Job Title: Consultant and Assistant Editor

Campus Organizations: Delta Tau Delta, Newman Club, College Republicans

What my Allegheny education means to me: My years at Allegheny were truly transforming for me. My education at Allegheny is much more than a diploma or letters on my resume, but truly an experience and period of extreme personal and academic growth.

Why I give back: I give back to provide opportunities to Allegheny that were afforded to me by my predecessors. I value my education at Allegheny much higher than my investment in tuition, so I want to ensure that current students experience the great opportunities that I had.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent to raise awareness about the power of our alumni base and how we can all contribute to a better education for current and future Allegheny students.

2008

Rachel DingmanRachel Dingman ’08

rdingman@allegheny.edu

Current City: Meadville, PA

Major: Philosophy and Psychology

Job Title: Assistant Director of Admissions and Hillel Director

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, Rugby, Swimming, Hillel, Gator Guide, Allegheny Ambassador, Game Room

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny gave me a solid foundation. My Allegheny education taught me critical-thinking and communication skills, and it gave me the tools I need to articulate my passions.

Why I give back: When I look back on my post-college success, I can attribute a lot of it to what I gained from and learned from my experience at Allegheny. I work here now, and every day I get to see the fruits of our donations (student scholarships, a thriving campus, student programs and activities, and incredible opportunities for student success). It’s easy for me to give back to a place that has given me and continues to give me and the community I care about, so much.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I think it’s important that everyone feels empowered to give back in whatever way is best for them. We have the opportunity to continue to be a part of this amazing community, and I hope to encourage people to get involved and to reengage with the Gator family.

James Jones ’08James Jones 9-1-14

jamesmitchelljones@yahoo.com

Current City: Monroeville, PA

Major: Biology

Job Title: Family Medicine Physician

Campus Organizations: Allegheny Football, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Intramural Sports

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny instilled in me the work ethic, both on the athletic field and in the classroom, to become the best student, athlete, and physician that I can be. The diversity in my studies, required by the College, made me a well-rounded individual and opened up opportunities that I didn’t realize were available to me.

Why I give back: I give back to Allegheny because it gave me five of the best years of my life. I have lifelong friends that I made throughout my tenure at the College, from the day I moved into Crawford Hall to the day I walked across that stage at graduation. My life, my parents’ lives, and my future children’s lives will be forever changed because of my decision to attend Allegheny.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent to keep alumni connected with the College that gave us so much. The only way the College can continue to help current and future Gators is if we, the alumni, continue to support it with our words, actions, and donations.

Hillary Kosnac ’08

hillary.kosnac@gmail.comHillary Kosnac

Current City: San Diego, CA

Major: Spanish and Political Science

Job Title: Coordinator of Field Operations, Mexican Migration Field Research and Training Program

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi Omega, Residence Life, Service Leader-ESL Program at Ernst Farm, EL Trip to Nicaragua, Cornerstones, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Sigma Iota, Pi Sigma Alpha

What my Allegheny education means to me: I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to attend Allegheny. My education did not just take place in the classroom; it also occurred as I spoke with professors outside of class, worked with local organizations, and volunteered abroad. Allegheny encouraged me not only to pursue academic excellence, but also excellence in service to those around me and the broader community. It is with this belief that I live my life.

Why I give back: I truly see my Allegheny education as transformative. Whether it is through working as a Class Agent or writing holiday letters to prospective students, it makes me proud to be able to give back to a school that has given me so much.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I believe in Allegheny. I believe that Allegheny has the power to change lives and communities. Consequently, I want to do my part to ensure a continued, bright future for Allegheny and its students. Plus, I love catching up with fellow Gators!

Mindy Milby ’08Mindy Milby 10-21-14

Current City: Washington, DC

Major: Communication Arts

Job Title: Donor Relations Manager

Campus Organizations: Lambda Pi Eta (President), Gator Activity Programming, Peer Leader, Alpha Phi Omega, Study Abroad (Townsville, Australia), Center for Political Participation, Feminist Amplified for Complete Equality

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education provided me with a solid foundation upon which to build my personal and professional goals. My time spent in the classroom at Allegheny sharpened my critical-thinking skills and my analytic reasoning and solidified my passion for being engaged within a larger community with a commitment to being civic-minded.

Why I give back: I give back to Allegheny as a way to honor and continue the tradition of giving students the very best opportunities. Without support at any amount, students would not have access to scholarships, our professors would be limited in their research funds, and the preservation of the College would be at risk. Giving a donation to Allegheny is a small way of buying into the next generation of students and academic thought leaders.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Within four short years, Allegheny provided me with so many opportunities. I am committed to preserving the excellence of Allegheny through my annual support. Serving as a Class Agent allows me the opportunity to give back to my beloved Allegheny in addition to reconnecting with fellow alumni.

Bret Silvis ’08Bret Silvis

brsilvis@gmail.com

Current City: San Diego, CA

Major: English

Job Title: Graphic Designer and Publications Coordinator

Campus Organizations: Gator Activities Programming, Phonathon, College Chorus, Experiential Learning, Senior Class Gift Committee, the Campus, Phi Alpha Theta

What my Allegheny education means to me: I didn’t realize until after I had left Allegheny just how much my four years there meant to me and my future. The education we all received, the community that we were able to grow within, and the peers and mentors we were able to learn from are life-changing advantages not every college offers. My time at Allegheny will always be remembered as four of the best years of my life.

Why I give back: Because of everything that Allegheny gave to me. I work in higher education, and I know the cost of providing a quality experience to students. As a private institution, Allegheny needs us – its alumni – to give back in order to continue to provide that same quality of education to future classes.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: After leaving Allegheny, many of us lose touch. The busy nature of our world leaves us thousands of miles apart and distant. I serve as a Class Agent to try and keep that distance smaller, to bring us all closer together, and to stay in touch with the people and school that changed all of our lives.

Jen Wilmore ’08jennifer wilmore

jmwilmore@gmail.com

Current City: Cleveland, Ohio

Major: English

Job Title: Associate at Jones Day

Campus Organizations: Residence Life, Gator Improv, Alpha Phi Omega, Admissions Tour Guide, Writing Consultant

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny was where I learned to explore beyond the classroom and I learned that you could learn as much from a relationship as you could from a textbook. The people are the soul of the campus, and it was obvious every day that they would support each step of my education. Allegheny is a place to test your boundaries and seek new opportunities, and I have carried that with me.

Why I give back: Allegheny deserves our support. I look back on my time there with fondness, but I also appreciate the school’s continuing humility in the face of its excellence, its ability to nurture academic and personal growth in students, and its culture of caring. It is a gem that deserves enthusiastic alumni.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: In many ways Allegheny’s influence grows better with time. Being a Class Agent provides a chance to help classmates stay connected to four wonderful years of their lives that they may only now be fully appreciating.

2007

Julie Reisz Haines 07

julie.reisz@gmail.com

Current City: Winston Salem, NC

Major: Chemistry

Job Title/Occupation: Research Assistant Professor at Wake Forest University

Campus Organizations: Chemii, Cross Country, Track & Field, Honor Committee

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny experience gave me a tremendous foundation to become a confident scientist and caring team player. The years at Allegheny and interactions with faculty and my classmates were transformative in helping me focus on and develop along a path for my future.

Why I give back: I give back in an effort to make the Allegheny education more accessible to prospective and current students, to support and recognize the dedicated faculty, and to demonstrate my commitment to seeing our alma mater continue its tradition of excellence in the liberal arts for many years to come.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Being a Class Agent helps me stay connected to my classmates and to the broader Allegheny community and is a great way to pay forward my love for the College!

Kurt Hoffmann ’07

kurtdhoffmann@gmail.com

Current City: Dayton, OH

Major: Environmental Studies

Job Title: Environmental Sustainability Manager at the University of Dayton

Campus Organizations: Students for Environmental Action, Choir, Chamber Singers, Orientation Peer Leader, CLC, Theater Productions

What my Allegheny education means to me: As a transfer student, I spent only five semesters at Allegheny. Those five semesters prepared me for an exciting career, but also for a lifelong pursuit of knowledge and love of learning. I’m so grateful for my Allegheny experience and especially for the staff and faculty that I worked with. Their depth of knowledge and understanding are a constant source of inspiration in my role as sustainability manager on another campus today.

Why I give back: Even though I had a shorter experience at Allegheny than most, I’m constantly thankful for the intensity, and quality of, that experience. I’m fiercely proud to have attended such a wonderful institution, and I feel that as an alumnus, I have a responsibility to use my talents to the betterment of our community.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Since alumni participation and giving are key elements of many college and university rating systems, I know that an active and engaged community of alumni has a direct positive impact on Allegheny’s standing in higher education. I’m convinced that Allegheny is shedding its reputation as a “best-kept secret” and can compete with the best liberal arts colleges in every category. Helping to activate our alumni community is one way I feel I can have an impact.

Thomas Miller ’07

Thomas Miller 9-23-14TJMScience@gmail.com

Current City: Bensalem, PA

Major: Biology and German

Job Title: Teacher

Campus Organizations: Concert Choir, Chorus, Pirates of Penzance the Musical, Wind Symphony, Gator Activities Programming, Allegheny Gay Pride, Beta Beta Beta, Study Abroad, EL Tour Trips.

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny guided me in every way to be as prepared as possible for a future as a well-rounded, successful adult.

Why I give back: The future of Allegheny College is dependent upon two things: reaching out to as many top-notch high school students as possible, and getting funds to make their education as amazing as possible. If the College is to continue as it has, it needs both of these things to happen.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I received an exceptional Trustee Scholarship from the Board of Trustees. I also had an amazing time participating in many activities at Allegheny College. I want to help insure that future students are able to experience this as well.

J.J. Voithofer ’07

james.voithofer@gmail.com

2006

Allison SolteszAllison Terwilliger Soltesz ’06

allison.eve@gmail.com

Current City: Melbourne, FL

Major: French/International Studies

Campus Organizations: Grounds for Change, Peer Leader

What my Allegheny education means to me: It’s hard to define all of the ways that my Allegheny education has enhanced my life. My time at Allegheny not only challenged me academically, but ethically and socially. My professors encouraged and challenged me to think outside of myself, to realize the interconnected nature of our world, and to be able to convey that to my peers, my colleagues, and my friends. Simply put, I wouldn’t be me without Allegheny.

Why I give back: I believe in Allegheny, and I give back to give action to my words. I’m proud to be an Allegheny alumna, and as time marches further away from my own graduation, the more I want to maintain that connection. By giving back, I’m supporting the tradition that means so much to me

Why I serve as a Class Agent: When I graduated from Allegheny, I lost touch with many of my classmates and with the College. Only in the past few years have I rekindled that connection with Allegheny, and it has been so rewarding! Now I want to maintain that relationship and bridge that gap for other Gators. I may not have a lot to give financially right now, but I like to support Allegheny in what I do have and encourage others to do the same After all, there is strength in numbers.

Brad Tuttle ’06  Brad Tuttle

tuttle.brad@gmail.com

Current City: Washington, D.C.

Major: Political Science

Job Title/Occupation: Associate Legal Advisor with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Campus Organizations: Sigma Alpha Epsilon, ASG, Tennis

What my Allegheny education means to me: An Allegheny education strongly emphasizes not only the critical thinking, writing, and analytic skills needed to compete effectively in the 21st century workforce, but also a sense of civic involvement and engagement that is becoming evermore important as our nation and world change and affect us.

Why I give back: To do a small part to support an institution that has opened pathways, both academically and professionally, for thousands of students and allowed them to grow into their full potential.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: For the reasons above, and because I am fortunate to have time now to reach out to our class, members of whom – on average – are likely at an age that presents little time to focus on matters of giving to our College. Yet, if we are able to present the opportunity adequately, I have no doubt the class of ’06 is fully on board to support Allegheny.

Mary UtterMary Zoller Utter ’06

utter@pitt.edu

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Political Science

Job Title/Occupation: Assistant Director of Student Life at the University of Pittsburgh

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Gator Activities Programming, Peer Leader, ASG, Honor Committee, Creek Connections

What my Allegheny education means to me: The most important thing about an Allegheny education for me was the critical-thinking and problem-solving skills I learned. Throughout my course work and activities on campus, I had experiences that allowed me to be a well-rounded individual. The skills and knowledge you gain at Allegheny stay with you for a lifetime.

Why I give back: I give back to Allegheny because it gave so much to me. I give Allegheny a lot of credit for the person I am today and the successes I’ve had. I want future generations of people to be able to benefit from an Allegheny education the same way I did.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Being a Class Agent allows me to do more for Allegheny than I could otherwise. I’m able to reconnect with classmates and spread the Allegheny pride. For me, being a Class Agent is an easy way to give back.

2005 10th Reunion Committee Members

Lindsay Baxter ’05

lindsay_baxter@hotmail.com

John T. Brady, Co-Chair ’05

jbrady@stmoritzgroup.com

Matthew Carcella ’05

mc879@cornell.edu

Adam Cromie, Co-Chair ’05

cromie.adam@gmail.com

Tricia Cubitt ’05

bearcabin@earthlink.net

Phil Denman ’05

phillip.denman@gmail.com

Lindsey Katora-Pityk ’05

lindsey.pityk@kiskiarea.com

Joseph Knupp ’05

joseph.knupp@gmail.com

Jennifer Taormina Kosek ’05

taormina.jennifer@gmail.com

Michelle Manni ’05

michelle.manni@gmail.com

Allyson Green Martin ’05

greenah@gmail.com

Alex Mericli ’05

alexander.f.mericli@gmail.com

Irena Saric ’05

irena.saric@perrigo.com

1999-2003

2004

Jamie Jansen Stromoski ’04

mrsstromoski@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Communication Arts

Job Title: Regional Account Manager – Group Benefits

Campus Organizations: Allegation, Habitat for Humanity, Kappa Alpha Theta, Tour Guide, Teacher’s Assistant in the TV Studio, Choir, MADD volunteer.

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny gave me the foundation in education and communication skills that have allowed me to successfully network in a field in which I never even imagined I would love working.

Why I give back: Due to the generous contributions of alumni before me, I was able to attend Allegheny. Without the scholarships I was awarded, I may not have been able to attend my first-choice school. I hope that my donations to Allegheny can give another future student the same opportunity.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I hope to remind my classmates of the amazing time we had at Allegheny in hopes that together we can collect funds to allow both additional scholarships and campus development.

2003

Brian Dulski ’03

Brian Dulski_family_2013

dulskib@yahoo.com

Current City: Swansea, IL

Major: Economics

Job Title: Director, Individual Philanthropy for National Wildlife Federation

Campus Organizations: Theta Chi

What my Allegheny education means to me: My time at Allegheny was transformational. Allegheny provides the space and nurturing environment that promotes not only intellectual, but also personal, growth. Within that environment, I was able to discover who I am, developing my personal values while cultivating lifelong friendships.

Why I give back: Only through the generosity of alumni that came before me was I able to attend Allegheny. I hope to afford that opportunity to future generations of Alleghenians. Above all, I believe in the College, its mission and the value of an Allegheny education.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Allegheny should be second to none not only academically, but also in alumni support. Increasing alumni participation will help Allegheny meet financial challenges while allowing us to catch and surpass our peers in participation rates, contributing to higher rankings and greater prestige.

Tamara Pavasovic Trost ’03

tpavasovic@yahoo.com

2002

Kendra Stanton Lee ’02Kendra Stanton Lee

kendrastantonlee@gmail.com

Current City: Chattanooga, TN

Major: Political Science/Journalism

Job Title: Assistant Professor of Journalism

Campus Organizations: Campus Newspaper, ACO, Sojourners, Residence Life

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny is not just a college on a hilly hamlet in northwest Pennsylvania. It is a place and a people and meaningful, formative experiences that occupy a great deal of real estate in my heart.

Why I give back: I am just making good on my indebtedness to those who sponsored my own education: through scholarships, ACCEL grants and endless time and energy invested in mentoring me.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I am excellent at shaking pom-poms and hailing the great Allegheny.

2001

Seth Ehrlich ’01

seth@sosoutreach.org

Kurt Foriska ’01Kurt Foriska

foriska.1@osu.edu

Current City: Columbus, OH

Major: Biology

Job Title: Development Professional at Ohio State University

Campus Organizations: Delta Tau Delta, ASG, WARC DJ, Homecoming, Omicron Delta Kappa, Lambda Sigma, Order of Omega, Peer Project Leader

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny really taught me how to think differently and write better. I mean, where else do you lose points for grammar on a lab report? That made all the difference.

Why I give back: I believe that Allegheny does make a difference in your life, and someone made that gift possible for me by giving back. Now it’s my turn.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I believe in the Allegheny experience and am excited to reconnect fellow classmates with the memories that made our experiences so great. And the free stuff – we get free stuff, right?

Amanda Harris ’01Amanda Harris

acharris1908@gmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Psychology

Job Title: Manager of Sales/EHR Software Sales

Campus Organizations: Everything

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education prepared me for the demands of working in corporate America.

Why I give back: Allegheny gave me so much, from a great education to friendships with classmates, administrators and faculty. The majority of my close friends are my friends from Allegheny. I give back because I want current and future students to have the positive experience I had.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Alumni participation in donating to Allegheny is low, and fond memories don’t pay the bills in running the College. I want to help translate everyone’s fond memories into donations that can continue the good work happening at Allegheny that helped me and my classmates become successful.

2000

Michelle Messersmith Clapper ’00michelle clapper

michelleclapper@aim.com

Current City: Elizabethtown, PA

Major: Psychology

Job Title: Freelance Writer/Editor/Event Assistant – Elizabethtown College

Campus Organizations: Residence Life-Resident Advisor/Assistant Resident Director/Housing Coordinator, Campus Ministry-Sojourners Christian Fellowship/Chapel Choir/Deacons, Community Service-Peer Project Leaders/Habitat for Humanity, Campus Life Faculty/Student Committee, College Choir, Lambda Sigma Sophomore Honor Society

What my Allegheny education means to me: I am touched by my Allegheny education often – through the variety of important skills that I utilize on a daily basis, by the special memories that pop up with great frequency and in the ever-present realization of the amazing role that Allegheny played in my life then, and still does today.

Why I give back: A small, private liberal arts college is a unique type of educational institution which provides a unique type of educational experience. I believe wholeheartedly in this type of education, know what it did for me and, in my years since graduation, have seen what it has done for countless students at two other similar institutions. I give to Allegheny so that this type of educational offering – provided in the manner in which it is – can be an option for others in the same way it was for me.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Serving Allegheny as a Class Agent is a way to be engaged as an alumni volunteer that results in an important and direct impact. Connecting with fellow Alleghenians, recalling our memories of such a pivotal time in our lives and uniting together to share some of our resources gained as a result of our Allegheny experience is meaningful and focused. Supporting this institution and the students of today, as others did when we were in college, is a special responsibility that we have as a result of all that Allegheny has done for us.

1999

Kara Erdodi Arguello ’99

kara.arguello@gmail.com

Current City: San Jose, CA

Current Employment: Attorney

Major: Political Science

Campus Organizations: The Campus newspaper, WARC, Student Experimental Theater

What my Allegheny education means to me: The broad liberal arts curriculum at Allegheny exposed me to ideas and topics I might have never explored anywhere else. I was able to study international government, geopolitics, and the literature of those regions all in the same day.

Why I give back: The years I spent at Allegheny were defining in terms of developing into the adult I would become and furthering my non-academic interests. Some of my most treasured friendships to date were formed on campus.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I always have been proud to list Allegheny on my resume and suggest it to young men and women who are beginning their college searches. I believe Allegheny’s reputation and my association with it always has been an asset in my continuing education and in my career.

Dyane Lehky Chamberlain ’99

delehky@gmail.com

Current City: Bowie, MD

Major: International Studies/Spanish

Job Title: Financial Analyst

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny helped me grow into the person I am today and provided me with the education and skills required to be successful in my personal and professional life.

Why I give back: I feel it is important to return the favor. I know previous alumni donations helped to make my college experience what it was, and I want to do the same.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: To help give current Allegheny students the same great experience that I had.

Jamie Fegan Conroy ’99Jamie Conroy

feganj@yahoo.com

Current City: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Major: Mathematics

Job Title: Senior Manager – Compensation, Benefits & HRIS

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, Panhellenic Executive Board, Order of Omega, Omicron Delta Kappa, Office of Financial Aid Assistant

What my Allegheny education means to me: During my years at Allegheny, both in and out of the classroom, I developed fundamental communication, analytical and problem-solving skills that provided me with a solid foundation to build a successful career. In addition to the quality education I received, I gained some amazing lifelong friends who shared my Allegheny experience with me every step of the way.

Why I give back: Alumni support is essential for Allegheny to continue to offer its students a quality education and maintain its distinguished reputation. I benefited from the generous donations of alumni before me, and I take pride knowing that my contributions are shaping the Allegheny experience for current and future students.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I’m serving as a Class Agent to help increase the alumni participation rate by encouraging my former classmates to give to Allegheny in any way they can – no amount is too small!

Jennifer Daurora ’99

daurorj@hotmail.com

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Current Employment: Business Development Director

Major: Economics

Campus Organizations: Honor Code Committee, Alpha Chi Omega, Panhellenic Council, Office of Admissions

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education is much more than just a degree. The Allegheny experience stretches far beyond even a typical liberal arts education. The continuous model of learning both inside and outside of the classroom gave me the skills I needed to succeed in the workplace and in life. Looking back, the experience of having professors push you further than you thought possible, failing and succeeding all in the same day while at the same time discovering your own ability to grow – that is pretty powerful!

Why I give back: Allegheny gave so much to me. As an alumna, it is my responsibility to invest in Allegheny so that future students can have as good of an experience, if not a better one, than I did. Additionally, I know that as the College does better, the value of my degree will increase. Having a degree from a highly respected institution is important to me and one reason that I invest in Allegheny.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Philanthropist is not a million-dollar word. I am serving as a Class Agent to help my generation understand that every gift is important and every gift is critical to the success of the College. Together we can make a difference and help ensure that Allegheny is one of the most sought-after liberal arts colleges in the nation.

Mandy Thompson Davis ’99

mdavis@teamhfa.com

Current City: Broadview Heights, OH

Current Employment: Media Team Leader

Major: Communicaton Arts

Campus Organizations: Kappa Kappa Gamma, AF Phonathon Caller, Allegheny Christian Outreach, Chamber Choir, Choir, Faculty/Student Committee, Institutional Review Board, National Collegiate Leadership, Orchesis, Panhellenic Council, Peer Project Leader, Senior Class Gift Committee, Senior Class Officers, Student Experimental Theater, Student Government, Student Orientation Advisor, Women’s Ensemble

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education means more to me than words can say. I learned more than just facts. I learned to think critically and with empathy. My education was beyond the classroom. The nurturing environment allowed me to pursue my passions through performance, politics, and philanthropy.

Why I give back: I give to enable other students to have a meaningful experience just as I did, and giving back helps me maintain my connection with a place so dear to me. The value I received from those who dedicated their time and gave financially for me to experience Allegheny is immeasurable.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Allegheny develops the youth of today into tomorrow’s leaders. I celebrate the institution that gave so much to me. I want to help bring awareness to how important it is to support our alma mater and that any financial support enhances Allegheny’s profile.

Amanda Aretz Habershaw ’99

ahabershaw@gmail.com

Current City: Greensburg, PA

Major: Environmental Studies

Job Title: Senior Scientist

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, Tour Guide – Admissions

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny shaped my future by providing me with a clear vision. It changed the way I thought about the world and my role in it.

Why I give back: Allegheny gave me so much – it’s the least I can do!

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Serving as a Class Agent is another tangible way to support the school.

Megan Coward Kommers ’99

megan_coward@hotmail.com

Current City:Brasilia, Brazil

Current Employment: Intelligence Analyst/Principal with SRA International

Major: Environmental Science

Campus Organizations: Alpha Chi Omega, Panhellenic Council, Annual Fund Volunteer

What my Allegheny education means to me: I truly value my Allegheny education. For me, the class sizes and personal interactions with the professors created a wonderful learning environment. The challenges of the coursework and the opportunities to work both independently and within teams provided valuable experience that carried me through graduate school and into the professional world.

Why I give back: With all the options of institutions and organizations to donate to, I choose Allegheny because of the positive impact it had upon my life, and I want current and future students to have the same opportunity. Allegheny provided me with the foundation upon which I have built a successful professional career. And although my career path has steered away from my major of environmental science, I am excited to see Allegheny actively demonstrate its commitment to the environment and sustainability.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I am proud to be an Allegheny alum. Living abroad, I appreciate the opportunities and experiences that have influenced my life. As a Class Agent, I hope to reconnect with classmates and continue to give back to an institution that has shaped so many lives.

Jason Miller ’99

mills@mac.com

Jim Smith ’99Jim Smith

smithjimc45@gmail.com

Current City: Boston, MA

Major: Math and Philosophy

Job Title: Education Management

Campus Organizations: Residence Life

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny equipped me for career success by developing my ability to solve problems, think critically and communicate effectively. But even more important than these academic foundations, Allegheny prepared me to be a father, a husband, a colleague, a friend and a citizen.

Why I give back: In a word – opportunity. I feel privileged that I have had the advantages provided to me by receiving an Allegheny education. By giving back, I can play a small part in helping others to have these same opportunities.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I was shocked that our giving percentages were so low. Knowing the importance of giving from a financial viability perspective, not to mention academic reputation, inspired me to play a part in making a difference.

1994-1998
1998

Jane Popelka Hahn ’98

Current City: Boston, MA

Current Employment: Senior Vice President, Executive Liability / Risk Management Consultant & Broker

Major: Psychology

Campus Organizations: Varsity Lacrosse, ASG, Habitat for Humanity, Orchesis, Newman Club/Soup Kitchen Volunteer, CLC, AXO

What my Allegheny education means to me: There is a difference between securing your undergraduate degree and receiving an undergraduate education. Allegheny provides the latter. It’s the difference between blending in with the masses or standing out among your peers. Allegheny’s education ensures that you will always stand out in your peer group.

Why I give back: I choose to give to Allegheny so that the opportunities afforded to me, by means of someone else’s generosity, can be paid forward to current students looking to grow on both an intellectual and personal level. I give back so that my favorite professors have the resources to continue their fine tradition of teaching, mentoring, researching, challenging, and inspiring the next generation of graduates to innovate, create, problem-solve, lead, and eventually, give back to the Allegheny community. I give back in the hopes that my small contribution is the difference that permits one high school senior the ability to attend Allegheny by means of scholarship, who, without this financial commitment, could otherwise not afford to attend.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I look fondly on my years at Allegheny. I am proud of the friendships that have endured over the last 15 years since graduating. I’m proud of the legacy we left and what future generations have created. Allegheny truly is a special place because of the strong sense of community created by those who walk the halls of Bentley to those who walk the hall of Brooks. I serve as a Class Agent to encourage all of my fellow alumni to give back to Allegheny so that we may continue these fine traditions for generations to come.

Stephanie Seeley Hathaway ’98

Stephanie.Hathaway77@gmail.com

Current City: Lyndhurst, OH

Current Employment: Attorney

Major: Philosophy and Political Science

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Model United Nations, Philosophical Club, Allegheny Christian Outreach, Habitat for Humanity

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny allows students to explore their interests and passions – both academic and recreational – and provides support for students to discover interests they never knew they had. Academically, not only did Allegheny’s recognized quality open the door for law school, but I found in law school that my Allegheny education had prepared me for law school in a way that my law school classmates were not. They simply had not spent four years developing their critical-thinking, research, writing, and analytical skills as I had at Allegheny. I joke with some Allegheny classmates who also went to law school that Allegheny was harder than law school, but it is absolutely true. The best part is that those skills were not only utilized in law school, but also every single day.

Why I give back: My Allegheny experience was a wonderful time, and I gained so much. I want future students to have a similar experience. Honestly, Allegheny has given me more than I could ever give back. My friends who made the mistake of attending other colleges keep in touch with one to two people from college. Allegheny friendships are simply stronger, and not just in number. Moreover, it seems that every week, Allegheny is being recognized by another national publication or receives another national award. Every time Allegheny receives another award, Allegheny’s profile expands, and my degree becomes more prominent, as well. As I said, Allegheny has given me more than I could ever give back – I’m just trying to do what I can.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Allegheny is one of the those rare colleges that is dripping with history, yet keeps up with the times. Obviously, donations are an important part of that. I don’t think enough alumni recognize that even if they cannot give a lot, giving a small amount helps the College immeasurably because the percentage of alumni donors matters. We all loved our time at Allegheny – let’s help future students love Allegheny. I hope to encourage others (some who engaged in those shenanigans with me, others who had their own shenanigans) to give back to the College.

Betsy Murray ’98

betzross@verizon.net

Current City: Philadelphia, PA

Current Employment: Director of Membership, National Constitution Center

Major: Political Science

What my Allegheny education means to me: It taught me that life is more interesting and fulfilling when you’re open to everything the world has to offer.

Why I give back: I took so much from Allegheny that it only feels right to give something back. It’s my way of paying tribute to the memories I cherish, and it makes me feel that I am helping to support “the making of great memories” for current and future Alleghenians.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: When Allegheny calls, I answer.

1997

Stephanie Schafer D’Andrea ’97

schaf7@yahoo.com

Current City: Washington, DC

Current Employment: Special Agent

Major: Political Science/German

Campus Organizations: Club Soccer, ASG, Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Honor Committee, Lamda Sigma, Phi Sigma Iota, Residence Life Advisor, Omicron Delta Kappa

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education gave me a strong foundation academically, socially, and morally – and enabled me to develop into a smart, hard-working, and motivated adult ready to contribute to society!

Why I give back: I give back to Allegheny because Allegheny gave me so much. I loved my time on campus, and I’m so thankful I chose to go to Allegheny!

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I passionately believe that most, if not all, can find some way to give back to Allegheny. If not financially, there are so many ways to contribute. Every little bit helps, and I want alumni to know that they don’t have to give more than they’re comfortable with to make a difference.

Linda Sambrook ’97

sambrol@hotmail.com

Current City: Brooklyn, NY

Current Employment: Executive Assistant/Financial Services

Major: Studio Art

Campus Organizations: Student Art Society, Omicron Delta Kappa, Intramural Volleyball,  Soup Kitchen Volunteer

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education gave me the opportunity to study things that interested and engaged me, not simply courses that tracked me for one particular career path. I was able to study what appealed to me, engage my passions, and hone my independent thinking skills, and I see the value of my liberal arts education each and every day. The ability to speak and write well should also never be underestimated!

Why I give back: I give back because I believe in Allegheny’s tradition of high-quality education, and I want to see it continue for many generations to come. Lending my financial support is one of the strongest ways I can “vote” for Allegheny’s continued success in higher education. I also give back because I remember watching my parents contribute to Allegheny’s Annual Fund drives while my sister and I were students. They were already paying tuition and supporting two other children, yet they still felt it important to give back because they could see that we were thriving. They didn’t necessarily have extra to give back then, yet they gave faithfully. This made a lasting impression on me and made me realize that I wanted to practice that same spirit of philanthropy for life – to give back because I believe in what Allegheny did for me and want to see it persevere, thrive, and grow…to give back because of all that I received.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Being a Class Agent allows me to help try and grow this enthusiasm toward giving within my friends, peers, and former classmates. It enables me to enact change, to foster the spirit of giving, and to help make our class a more philanthropic class in spirit. I want people to realize that it doesn’t matter how big or small a gift is; what matters is that you practice contributing and form that habit of showing your support over a lifetime.

Tracy Stih Stockard ’97

tstih@email.com

Current City: Sagamore Hills, OH

Current Employment: Director of College Counseling

Major: English

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Residence Life Advisor, Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society

What my Allegheny education means to me: My educational experience at Allegheny was invaluable. Not only did I learn how to become a better writer and think critically, but my time in the classroom also helped me find my voice. Because class sizes are small and professors encourage participation, I learned to defend and articulate my beliefs and opinions at Allegheny with confidence. This skill has been nothing but helpful in my career and everyday experiences with others.

Why I give back: The transformation I experienced at Allegheny is immeasurable. In addition to becoming better educated, thanks to the wonderful course offerings and professors at Allegheny, I became more confident and self-assured through the various leadership opportunities I was given. I want future generations to say Allegheny changed them, as well. This is why I make it a priority to give back to Allegheny every year.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: In addition to all the wonderful memories I have at Allegheny, perhaps I also bring a unique reason to being a Class Agent. As a director of college counseling, I know the percent of graduates giving back to their alma mater has a direct impact on Allegheny’s ranking in publications like U.S. News & World Report. Since many prospective families consult these publications when it comes time for their children to look at colleges, I want Allegheny to be ranked as high as possible. If I can do anything to help influence those rankings, it would be by encouraging my classmates to donate what they can to Allegheny.

Katie Williams Wentz ’97

wentzfarm@aol.com

Kevin Wentz ’97

wentzfarm@aol.com

1996

Kelly Stuart Mednis ’96

Kelly Mednis

Current City: Pittsburgh, PA

Major: Political Science/Communication Arts (Theater)

Job Title: Professional Services Manager, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust

Campus Organizations: Choir, Chamber Choir, Women’s Ensemble, Student Experimental Theatre, Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny taught me how to think across disciplines and to continue to apply what I’ve learned to new challenging situations. It fostered a desire in me always to keep learning and improving.

Why I give back: To say thank you, to stay connected and to recognize that where I am is a result of where I’ve been.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Recently my high school alma mater was closed despite protests and community action that fought to preserve its long history and champion its valuable future. I was so fortunate to receive an incredible education; I want to be an advocate for Allegheny’s future. I want to continue to have an active connection to the institution that influenced me.

1995

Daniel Van Aken ’95

vanaken1@msn.com

Current City: Chicago, IL

Current Employment: Portfolio Manager

Major: Mathematics

Campus Organizations: Theta Chi, WARC

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny experience provided me with a fundamental skill set that prepared me for the “real world” and taught me the value of hard work and diversity. It also offered an environment where I met some of the best people and friends I’ve ever had.

Why I give back: To ensure future generations have the opportunity to develop critical-thinking and communication skills with a diverse, liberal arts-based curriculum.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Because I care about the longevity of the College and the value proposition it provides to our society.

1994

Michael Newman ’94

michael.newman@polycom.com

Current City: Manhattan Beach, CA

Current Employment: Vice President, Video Management

Major: English, Philosophy

Campus Organizations: Soccer, Phi Delta Theta

What my Allegheny education means to me: During my childhood, I leaned on my parents for strength, confidence, and security. My time at Allegheny represented an opportunity to develop those qualities within myself and to use an education as the foundation for that transformation. That process was very challenging, but since graduation I can honestly say that I’ve always felt my education gave me the tools to succeed in any environment.

Why I give back: I had a suspicion while at Allegheny that the faculty and staff operated with a passion that was unique. My subsequent educational and professional experiences confirmed that. To the extent I benefited from those exceptional efforts, I feel obligated to help support and continue that very special tradition.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I always felt a strong kinship to both the College and my classmates. I look forward to using this as an opportunity to reconnect with old friends, to help perpetuate a tradition of giving, and to simply stay connected to a college and an experience I value tremendously.

Greg Ward ’94

g_w_ward@yahoo.com

Current City: Rocky River, OH

Current Employment: Chief Financial Officer in Commercial Real Estate Lending

Major: Economics and English

Campus Organizations: Delta Tau Delta, Football Team, RA/RD, Allegheny Newman

What my Allegheny education means to me: At Allegheny, I learned to accomplish large assignments; think critically; question the logic behind statements and numbers; articulate ideas, concepts and beliefs; and work well with others. If I could describe the traits I value in professional colleagues, the items that I list above would all be very high on my list.

Why I give back: I benefited from Allegheny in so many ways, some of which were not clear until five or 10 years after graduation. I grew as a person, student, and mentor to others over my four years at Allegheny and was able to set out upon a path of my choosing. I had the good fortune to meet my wife at Allegheny. We cherish our Allegheny education, both the learning in the classroom and extracurricular education. I received some scholarship assistance and appreciated those who went before me.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I benefited from the support of those before us through scholarship assistance. I believe in contributing to Allegheny to allow the college to continue to provide assistance to students. Also, Allegheny takes leadership on numerous issues that I believe are important: civility in politics, environmental stewardship. I believe that grassroots alumni support of the College helps perpetuate these efforts. Finally, I have appreciated the tremendous education that I received and wish to help as many others have such an opportunity.

1990-1993

1993

Bill MillerBill Miller ’93

BillMiller@yahoo.com

Current City: Lopatcong, NJ

Major: Computer Science

Job Title: Sr. Technical Manager / AVP

Campus Organizations: Football, Delta Tau Delta, WARC

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny offered great opportunities for me through the friends that I met, small class sizes and varied class offerings. I never in a million years thought I would be a computer science major, but somehow it worked out for me at Allegheny, and I have made a 20-year career out of it. I was fortunate to get a chance to play football and appreciated being a part of all of it. Fraternity life was great for me because of the friends that I made and because it brought out my creativity. The most important part of my Allegheny education was what I learned from spending time with smart kids from all over the country. My only regret was that I played classic rock instead of grunge as a WARC DJ.

Why I give back: I received A LOT of financial aid to go to Allegheny. The least I can do is give back a bit for kids in similar situations. Allegheny changed my life.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I am proud to see that Allegheny is rising in various rankings. I would like to see Allegheny rise in the ranking associated with the number of alumni giving back. I feel that this will help me remain more connected to Allegheny.

Jody Moore O’Grady ’93

jogrady14@comcast.net

1992

Wendy Brown Baird ’92

bairdfamily1@verizon.net

Current City: Burke, VA

Current Employment: Development Director at Northern Virginia Therapeutic Riding Program

Major: Sociology/Anthropology

Campus Organizations: Alpha Delta Pi, Campus Deacons, Habitat for Humanity

What my Allegheny education means to me: Twenty plus years later, I see my four years at Allegheny as the most formative in my life. Academically, Allegheny pushed me to work harder and think deeper than I’d imagined possible, within the context of an extremely supportive environment. It was not until I went onto graduate school (where the primary focus was on research, not teaching) that I began to really appreciate Allegheny professors’ deep commitment to students. They knew me and cared about me personally, and those relationships were transformative. Equally important to my academic learning was my learning outside of the classroom. Looking back on it, my extracurricular life was where I grew confident in myself as a leader. The Allegheny community is a close-knit one that encourages students to participate in a staggering array of activities. These opportunities, among other things, taught me to take risks, showed me that I could impact causes that mattered to me, and facilitated friendships that continue today.

Why I give back: David Hoag ’60, a former trustee, summed it up perfectly with his quote: “The only owners of Allegheny College are the alumni. There is no city, state, or profession to worry about us. We are all there is. If we don’t do it, no one else will.” As alumni, we have a key role in creating the College’s future, and I want to be part of that effort.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Though most people don’t like to talk about fundraising, increasing donations from our peer group matters to Allegheny’s future. Fundraising doesn’t have to be a bad word. I’m hoping to help more alumni feel good about supporting an institution they care about.

Sarah Klomp Fedirka ’92

fedirka@findlay.edu

Current City: Findlay, OH

Major: English and History

Job Title: Assistant Professor

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, AMDA, Order of Omega

What my Allegheny education means to me: My four years at Allegheny prepared me for the rest of my life in ways I little understood at the time. My experiences prepared me for the personal, professional and civic engagements of adult life. Dr. David Miller’s courses on modernism and critical theory and writing my senior comp made me a better graduate student and teacher. My experiences with Theta made me a better friend and leader, and being on a campus that fostered a high level of social and political engagement has made me a better citizen.

Why I give back: To continue the legacy of which I am a part, the legacy of Allegheny College. While at Allegheny, I benefited from scholarships endowed by other alumni who believed in the importance of giving back. Now it’s my turn.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Selfishly, it’s a way to reconnect with friends and enjoy old memories. It’s also a way to play a small part in celebrating all that Allegheny is.

Daniel Reagle ’92

daniel.reagle@ge.co

Current City: Media, PA

Current Employment: Vice President – Global Restructuring

Major: Economics

Campus Organizations: Intramural softball, Phonathon, Senior Week Planning Committee

What my Allegheny education means to me: I was Penn State bound until Allegheny accepted me. I really thought an Allegheny education could help me achieve my dream of becoming a dentist. Then came Chem 110, winter trimester, 8 a.m. on Saturdays. Chemistry was never one of my strengths, and Allegheny helped me recognize and understand my strengths. Changing my major to economics at the end of freshman year was a gigantic decision. My professors believed in me, and that helped me build my self-confidence. The structure and intensity of completing an econ major in three years was amazing and made me realize that anything is possible with hard work and professors who genuinely cared about me. The technical skills that I learned at Allegheny combined with learning the fundamentals of writing well and speaking well transformed my experience. At this stage of my career, technical skills are expected of me, but polished communication skills are part of my personal brand that are highly valued, especially in an era of texting. The best part of my Allegheny experience was my lifelong friendships. No matter how often I see my friends, we are so connected by Allegheny that it feels like we were never apart.

Why I give back: My Allegheny education was the greatest gift my parents ever gave me, and I am really thankful for the impact Allegheny still has on my life. Fifty years from now, I want to reflect back on my life and know that other kids had the opportunity to experience this special place because I faithfully supported Allegheny.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: We don’t have 600,000 alumni or the benefits of a Big 10 Championship game that will bring millions to our alma mater. As Allegheny alumni, we are a small group, but collectively, we can have a big impact. This is a great opportunity for me to reconnect with fellow alumni. I hope other alumni will be motivated to re-establish their connection with Allegheny and be willing to give back.

Eric Smith ’92

eric_mancin_smith@yahoo.com

Current City: Red Bank, NJ

Current Employment: Chief Operating Officer – Contemporary Healthcare Capital

Major: Economics/Political Science

Campus Organizations: Student Government, Phi Kappa Psi

What my Allegheny education means to me: The education I received at Allegheny has allowed me to excel in my career.

Why I give back: I want to make sure that Allegheny remains one of the top liberal arts colleges in the United States.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I serve as a Class Agent because I would like to do my part to increase the alumni participation rate in the Annual Fund.

1991

Brian Hutton ’91

bhutton@adspecialtysolutions.com

Current City: Amherst, NY

Current Employment: Owner/Sales

Major: Economics

Campus Organizations: Phi Kappa Psi

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education provided me with the information and experience that have enabled me to be successful in life.

Why I give back: To support the College that gave me my solid educational foundation.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: It is important for Allegheny alums to support the College so future students have the opportunity to attend such a great learning institution.

Darrell S. Park ’91

park.darrell@gmail.com

1990 25th Reunion Committee Members

Heather Aley Austin, Co-Chair ’90

Heather.Austin@thompsonhine.com*

Jenny Becker Bean ’90

jennybean309@gmail.com

Janell Logue-Belden ’90

jlbpgh@comcast.net

Lisa Cortes Blough ’90

lisa.blough@gmail.com

Megan McKechnie Byrne ’90

mbyrne4@comcast.net

Susan Emanuele Carlson ’90

carlson_susan@hotmail.com

Matthew Jordan ’90

mfj3@psu.edu

John Kieger ’90

allegheny@whereisjk.com

Christy Hunt Markle ’90

chmarkle@sbcglobal.net

Heather Matter McBrier ’90

Heathermtr@aol.com

Lisa Imperata Moses ’90

imperatamoses@verizon.net

Douglas Pszczolkowski ’90

dpszczolkowski@hvymca.org

Sara Sauerbrey ’90

sara_sauerbrey@yahoo.com

Brian Shea ’90

brianshea68@gmail.com

Dean Skarlis, Co-Chair ’90

dean@collegeadvisorny.com

1987

Kirsten Severiens Radivoyevitch ’87Kirsten Radivoyevitch

radivok@gmail.com

Current City: Cleveland Heights, OH

Major: Sociology and Anthropology

Job Title: Educator

Campus Organizations: Alleghey Men’s Dining Association (AMDA), International Club, Band and Orchestra, Synchronized Swimming, Resident Adviser, WARC

What my Allegheny education means to me: During my time at Allegheny, I took a wide array of courses and was involved in many activities. These experiences shaped me.

Why I give back: I support the College’s commitment to prepare its students to make a positive difference in a world that is constantly changing.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I enjoy staying connected with Allegheny in a way that not only enhances my life but also helps others become aware of the meaningful, significant impact a small college nestled in the Pennsylvania mountains can have both on the world and in their own lives.

1982

Jolene Regis Steinmetz ’82Jolene Steinmetz

jolenesteinmetz@gmail.com

Current City: Gibsonia, PA

Major: Chemistry

Campus Organizations: Wind Symphony, Civic Orchestra, Allegheny Newman, Lambda Sigma.

What my Allegheny education means to me: I learned how to think as an Allegheny College student. I remember the elaborate “story problems” that were on my Chemistry I tests that required not only an understanding of specific scientific knowledge, but also the ability to comprehend the entire scenario that was presented in order to solve each problem. The ability to think was demonstrated by those high level problems. Creative thinking and problem solving in various work and life situations are attributes that I am very proud of, and I credit my Allegheny education for initiating the development of those skills.

Why I give back: I choose to give back because I loved my four years at Allegheny. Aside from gaining a great education, I forged lifelong friendships, developed my independence, and had a tremendous amount of fun. I have been giving back consistently since I graduated because I have always appreciated and felt connected to the college.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: My daughter is a member of the Allegheny Class of 2015. During the summer before her senior year, she was chosen along with five other students to participate in the Allegheny-sponsored Vivekananda Institute of Indian Studies Internship program in Mysore, India. There was a tremendous amount of effort put forth by the College to make this internship a reality, and the experience was amazing! That same summer she researched for a professor on campus as a Mellon Fellow. She also studied abroad for a semester in Lancaster, England, and during that semester she traveled to 12 European countries. These transformative experiences have helped her to grow as a person, both in independence and self-confidence. I act as a Class Agent to show my gratitude for the Allegheny advantage that both of us have experienced and to ensure that future students are provided similar wonderful opportunities.

1981

Priscilla Lange Summers ’81

prissumm@gmail.com.com

Current City: Roswell, GA

Major: English/Chemistry Minor

Job Title: Information Technology Specialist

Campus Organizations: AGD, Swim Team, SGA

What my Allegheny education means to me: My Allegheny education provided a great foundation for preparing me for entering the workforce. The professors’ first priority was the students. I appreciated the small class sizes and individualized attention.

Why I give back: Not much is more important than a great education, and that is what I got when I went to Allegheny. I give back so others can get this great experience.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: It is a simple way to give back to Allegheny. 

1976

Sarah Flynn Erickson ’76Sarah Erickson Cropped

s.f.erickson@att.net

Current City: Stone Mountain, GA

Major: History

Job Title: Rev. Dr./Director, the Center for Lifelong Learning at Columbia Theological Seminary

Campus Organizations: Kappa Alpha Theta, Wind Ensemble, Women’s Choir, RA Senior Year

What my Allegheny education means to me: I learned how to learn – to think critically, to evaluate, test, revise accordingly – and to love learning deeply, creatively. It’s where I started to clarify that was my life’s work, in various contexts. Allegheny was the place where I made friends and found grounding, and from which I launched.

Why I give back: I give back what I can – time and money – because, as my mother (also an Allegheny grad) said, “to care is to do.” I do it because I care that Allegheny continues to be a place where others kindle and nurture a love of learning.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: The short answer? While I give proportionally from my financial resources, they are not unlimited. And I’d like to give more. Encouraging others to give by investing my time works. And it’s a great way for this extrovert to connect with folks from those four formative years.

1975 40th Reunion Committee Members

Paul Block ’75

peblock@aol.com

Chuck Duncan ’75

charles.duncan01@snet.net

Pat Houston ’75

patrick@patrickhouston.net

Michael Jacobelli ’75

motorsports53@comcast.net

Jim Langkamer ’75

langkamerj@yahoo.com

Dusty Elias Kirk, Co-chair ’75

dkirk@reedsmith.com

Michael J. Malone, Co-chair ’75

mjmalone@hendersonbrothers.com

Shirley McKinney ’75

girlfr@sbcglobal.net

Portia Gibbs Shephard ’75

pshephardaka2@msn.com

Sylvia Stewart-Lumpkin ’75

SMStewartLumpkin@gmail.com

Beth Hardesty Waite ’75

bmize1@cox.net

1971

Barbara Marvin Mize ’71

bmize1@cox.net

Current City: Oklahoma City, OK

Major: French

Job Title: Paralegal Specialist; FBI

Campus Organizations: Cwens (a sophomore honor society), Kappa Kappa Gamma

What my Allegheny education means to me: It has provided the tools and foundation for my path since graduation through the present time. Jobs, relationships, community involvement, family, and friends have all been shaped by my experiences and education at Allegheny.

Why I give back: The Allegheny experience was very important to me, and I welcome the chance to give back so others might be a part of the Allegheny College community.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I’d like to encourage my classmates to take the opportunity to give back and pay it forward for future generations of Allegheny students.

1967

Isabella Thoburn Dorr ’67

bittydorr@gmail.com

Current City: Cleveland, OH

Major: Social Science/Elementary Education

Job Title: Retired School Administrator

Campus Organizations: Crews, Alpha Gamma Delta, Junior Advisors, Kappa Delta Epsilon, Admissions Tour Guide

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny has always been part of my life experience. My family history has deep roots at Allegheny. My educational experience at Allegheny prepared me well as an engaged learner who learned to critically read, write, speak, and analyze information and provided me with a firm foundation for all endeavors in life.

Why I give back: Education is transformative. I hope that by giving back to Allegheny I can help provide for others the opportunity to grow and learn to their best potential.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: It is my privilege to serve as a Class Agent. I look forward to connecting with other Allegheny graduates and encouraging them to pass on the gift that an Allegheny education has provided for them.

Jon Swanson ’67

swansonjnc@comcast.net

Current City: Boulder, CO

Major: Political Science

Job Title: Retired university administrator

Campus Organizations: Phi Delta Theta, Interfraternity Council, class officer, intramurals, Allegheny Student Government, College Union Board

What my Allegheny education means to me: Among the many outstanding opportunities a quality collegiate experience offers are the advancement of intellectual and social skills and the expansion of a meaningful sense of curiosity. I forever will be grateful to Allegheny for lending me these and much more.

Why I give back: When you identify influences in your life that are especially positive, they should be natural targets for expressing your appreciation and generosity. Allegheny inspires that in me.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: The Class Agent program is a great opportunity to share your time with the College as well as your dollars. I think it broadens the giving experience in the best of ways.

Dana Toedtman ’67

1966

Craig Toedtman ’66Craig Toedtman 9-5-14

craigt@toedtman.com

Current City: Blue Bell, PA

Major: Economics

Job Title: Founder/CEO

Campus Organizations: Phi Delta Theta, Allegheny Singers, Swim Team

What my Allegheny education means to me: Allegheny provided an opportunity to explore – confirming my dislike for sciences; solidifying my curious nature; providing a culture and atmosphere that provided an opportunity to meet (and commiserate with) a lot of terrific people (including my wife, Dana!); interacting with extremely talented and sharing faculty; preparing me to move forward with a thrust for lifelong learning.

Why I give back: Allegheny is a great institution, and I am hopeful that my continued investment will result in others having similar opportunities.

1965 50th Reunion Committee Members

Wayne Abbott, Co-chair ’65

wabbott6429@cox.net

Dr. John E. Anderson, Co-chair ’65

jeasptspsy@aol.com

Ray Battey ’65

rsbattey@aol.com

Jody B. Blanning Colby, Co-chair ’65

jodycolby@verizon.net

Judy Conte Ehmer ’65

judy-ehmer@t-online.edu

Dr. Brett Elliott ’65

bemd@bemd.com

Dr. John Hutcherson ’65

hutch4545@gmail.com

Jeff Kane ’65

jwkane43@gmail.com

Warren Keck ’65

wkeck@verizon.net

Paul T. McCabe ’65

ptmtex@gmail.com

Mays Pettegrew ’65

memory.pettegrew@yahoo.com

Buck Smith ’65

bucklynn@roadrunner.com

Carole Barnes Williams ’65

carole.j3@gmail.com

1961

Richard Borrison ’61

borrison1457@juno.com

Current City: Sunnyvale, CA

Major: Chemistry

Job Title: Retired Physician

Campus Organizations: Student Government, Phi Delta Theta

What my Allegheny education means to me: First step to a future career.

Why I give back: I want Allegheny to continue to provide quality education to a wide variety of students regardless of finances.

Janet Jenks Everett ’61

jan.everett@att.net

Current City: Orange Village, Ohio

Major: History

Job Title: Retired Public Librarian

Campus Organizations: Symphony, Orchesis, Alpha Gamma Delta

What my Allegheny education means to me: My liberal arts education was an excellent background to become a librarian, as was the opportunity to attend the Washington Semester my junior year.

Why I give back: Allegheny is an excellent College that should be supported so others can profit from attending. I am grateful for and proud of my alma mater.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: To encourage others to give back a small portion of what they received by attending Allegheny.

Mimi Jackson Lewellen ’61

mlewellen@wooster.edu

Current City: Wooster, OH

Major: Elementary Education

Job Title: Retired

Campus Organizations: Women’s Government, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Cwens (equivalent of RA)

What my Allegheny education means to me: Lifelong friends. Self-confidence. Better understanding of all that’s around us. Curiosity. Awareness. Ability to learn and to adapt to new situations.

Why I give back: My father told me 57-58 years ago that what we paid to Allegheny was supplemented and added to by others to cover the cost of the education. (less than $1,000/semester then!) He encouraged me to remember and to do likewise. “Pay it back/pay it forward.” I’ve tried to do so and have said the same to my three liberal arts college kids, now alums at their schools.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: Same as above. Reach out to others to remind them that we were assisted by others many years ago.

1958

Lynne Crandall Hammerstrom ’58

lhammerstrom@hotmail.com

Current City: Marquette, MI

Major: American Studies

Job Title: Homemaker/Volunteer

Campus Organizations: Associated Women Students Senate, Associated Women Students President, Cwens President, Junior Advisor, Allegheny Undergraduate Council, Debate Team, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Beta Kappa

What my Allegheny education means to me: I learned to work with many different people and really enjoyed the relationship between faculty and students. I was lucky to be at Allegheny when only 1,200 students attended, and felt like I knew everyone.

Why I give back: I think our liberal arts College deserves to be helped in any way I can. I worry that students are becoming too specialized, too soon and are unwilling to take courses that teach us to think. Alleghey opened my eyes to so many things.

Why I serve as a Class Agent: I have given to Allegheny’s Annual Fund each year and believe that I and other graduates have an obligation to “keep a good thing going.”