Department Facts

Distinctions

• Individualized attention, close student-faculty relationships.
  • Opportunities to integrate art with other disciplines: recent double majors include studio art/physics; studio art/biology; studio art/math; studio art/environmental science; art history/English.
  • Senior Projects demonstrate to employers and graduate schools the ability to define and complete a comprehensive original assignment.
  • Special balance between depth in the major and breadth of overall programs.
  • Important integration of studio art and art history in the curriculum.
  • Upper-level seminars that encourage students to examine art’s connection with politics, economics, and society.

Key Benefits

• Appreciation of the imaginative, expressive range of visual arts.
  • Firm grounding in the fundamentals of art and art history.
  • Understanding of the theoretical and technical issues in the production and interpretation of art.
  • First-hand knowledge of how artists and art historians develop and explore topics.
  • Understanding of the processes and effects of visual communication.
  • Ability to apply critical thinking skills across disciplines.

Endorsements

• “Most of my experience in the art department revolved around creating and then being able to support my own ideas. That ability has been the most critical to my career.” — Ben Cammarano ’92, computer animator, US-SPO Sports, Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, Washington
  • “When an intimate group of professors can help transform you from a caterpillar to a butterfly … you know there’s powerful stuff going on. My art professors were more than just lecturers or living textbooks; they were each a unique fountain of creative energy, challenging me one-on-one every step of the way.” — Ryan Ott ’97
  • “From my perspective as a teaching artist, I can now fully appreciate what my teachers [at Allegheny] offered: a respect for the value of the history of art as well as its technical aspects, an expectation that students become both visually and verbally ‘literate’ with regard to their own and others’ work, and a willingness to teach by example, by inviting us to observe their own continued growth as artists.” — Rebecca Allan ’85, independent artist and curriculum consultant, Seattle, Washington
  • “The training I received at Allegheny in historical, formal, and design issues, along with the strong emphasis on independent work, has served me well in my museum career. The breadth and depth of my education has been a tremendous asset—particularly the writing and cognitive skills that might not have been emphasized so strongly at an art school. I feel that Allegheny’s art department did a first-rate job in preparing me for the challenges of pursuing a career in the arts.” — Adrian Wagner ’92, Helena Rubenstein Curatorial Fellow, Whitney Museum of American Art; John W. Draper Fellow, New York University
  • Department faculty are regularly invited to jury exhibitions, exhibit artwork nationally and internationally, and serve as visiting artists and lecturers at regional and national arts schools.