Samantha Laurence ’14

SamanthaLaurence_filter_square_webMajor: Environmental Studies
Minors: Religious Studies, Values, Ethics, and Social Action

Extracurricular Involvement:
Allegheny Christian Outreach; Bonner Program, served the Meadville Housing Authority

“I studied abroad in Israel at the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (AIES). This experience helped me to integrate global learning into my academic experience. I not only learned about environmental issues in the Middle East, but I also learned how to work toward the solution of these issues while also working toward peace.

I started Allegheny naïve and ignorant of many of the complex issues that exist in this world including diversity, global learning, and civic engagement. Now, I am a senior who has not only become aware of these three areas through academics, but has engaged them through my Bonner work, internships, study abroad, and service-learning. I now know how to work with diverse communities in a reciprocal, respectful relationship, how to work toward peace using environmental issues on an international scale, and how to facilitate programming that helps youth recognize their own capacity for leadership. Due to these experiences and more, I now would like to work with youth of low-income communities and teach environmental education utilizing aquaponics.”