Hiring the Allegheny College Graduate
Through Allegheny’s rigorous academic program, students learn to think both creatively and analytically and to write and communicate well. All students are required to complete an extensive, independent senior project through which they develop initiative and resourcefulness.
Other hallmarks include self-confidence, leadership and teamwork skills fostered through participation in 120+ extracurricular activities. In addition, approximately 63% of our students further develop their skills and professionalism through internships.
Allegheny is ranked among the nation’s top 80 liberal arts colleges by U.S. News & World Report, and it appears in such selective guides as Fiske, The Yale Insider’s Guide, and Top Colleges for Science.
We have a very active internship program and are always interested in adding new employers. E-mail email@example.com or call 814-332-2381.
Allegheny Graduates: Highlights
- 100% have completed the Senior Project (senior thesis), proving their ability to handle a large assignment, work independently, and write and speak persuasively.
- 100% have completed at least three writing-intensive seminars by the end of their sophomore year.
- 100% are computer literate.
- 100% have worked in a seminar format, sharpening their interpersonal and communication skills, by the end of their first year.
- Students developed the College’s Honor Code in 1960 and have administered it themselves for more than 40 years.
- More than 90% scored above the national averages on their SATs (Allegheny’s combined average SAT is 1191).
- Nearly all took part in extracurricular activities, including community service (more than 60% participate in volunteer work each year).
- Well more than half held campus jobs.
Employer Recruiting Services
On-campus Recruiting Program
- Offered fall and spring semesters
- Choose from pre-screened or open sign-up methods of recruiting
- Present a well marketed/promoted Information Session to our students
- Coordinated to include presentations in academic classes at your request
- Opportunities to “table” in our Campus Center (Student Union)
ACCEL/Senior Opportunities Jobs and Internships Database
Post an opportunity yourself at http://accel.allegheny.edu/submit_opp.php
Send your position openings by e-mail to Jim.Fitch@allegheny.edu or by fax to 814-332-2340. We will enter it into our ACCEL/Senior Opportunities Database and you will receive resumes of interested students via e-mail, fax, or whatever you prefer.
The following employers are among those who currently employ six or more Allegheny College graduates:
- AT & T Corp.
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Bayer Corporation
- Bristol-Myers-Squibb Co.
- Case Western Reserve University
- Chase Manhattan Bank
- Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
- Cleveland Clinic
- Columbia University
- Eastman Kodak Co.
- FreeMarkets, Inc.
- Fidelity Investments
- General Motors Co.
- Giant Eagle
- Harvard University
- Mayo Clinic
- Mellon Bank Corp.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- PNC Bank
- Procter & Gamble Co.
- Stanford University
- Towers Perrin
- United Airlines
- UPMC (Our 2012-2013 Employer in Residence)
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U. S. Justice Department
- U. S. State Department
- Westinghouse Electric Corp.
- Xerox Corp.
“I think one of the reasons Allegheny students are so appealing is that they are such well-rounded individuals with excellent interpersonal and analytical skills.”
Loren Zadecky, Economic Analyst
Capital Economics, Washington, D.C.
“I have consistently found interviewing Allegheny students a pleasure for skills that sound basic, but are not as prevalent at other schools I visit. They answer the questions asked in a logical and coherent fashion, summarizing for me how the detailed responses they’ve just given address the issues at hand…Allegheny students, regardless of their chosen major, display the ability to communicate effectively.”
Debra Stember, Actuarial Supervisor
Towers Perrin, Pittsburgh, Pa.
“The required Senior Projects make Allegheny students competitive candidates for our positions because they have ‘hands-on’ experience…compounding their strong academic preparation. The students seem to approach the job search with enthusiasm and a professional demeanor — they are well prepared and serious about what they are doing.”
Elizabeth Jaszczak, Manager of Employment
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio