The Office of Career Education empowers Allegheny students to explore their passions and interests. The suggested resources are designed with the intention of assisting with major exploration and career development. Below is brief four year plan to assist with your career journey while at Allegheny.
First Year: Explore
- Get to know Career Education: Meet with a Career Counselor to talk about your goals.
- Consider your interests/Explore options for your major: Review the Academic Course Catalogue and the “What Can I do With This Major” page on the Career Education website to identify a major and minor combination.
- Start to get involved: Join student organizations that interest you, volunteer in the community and/or obtain a campus job.
- Use Career Educations’ Professional Documents Guide to draft a resume and have it reviewed in the office or at a Resume Doctor program.
- Search for Opportunities: Activate your Gator Connect account to view internships and job
Sophomore Year: Build
- Develop professional relationships: Declare a major/minor and choose a faculty advisor.
- Expand your interests: Make an appointment with a Career Counselor in the fall semester to learn how to find summer internships related to your interests. Job shadow a professional in your field of interest.
- Attend on-campus employer information sessions to help clarify your interests.
- Seek leadership positions within campus clubs and organizations where you can tangibly contribute your skills.
- Update your resume: Have your resume reviewed in Career Education or at a Resume Doctor program.
- Build a LinkedIn Profile: Use the LinkedIn Job Search handout found in Career Education. Begin connecting to alumni in your fields of interest.
Junior Year: Identify
- Participate: Attend on-campus recruiting events, job fairs, and workshops to learn about companies and industries.
- Prepare: Begin researching graduate schools and register to take the appropriate entrance exams. Discuss plans with faculty mentors and Career Counselors. Update your resume and begin writing personal statements.
- Expand your knowledge: Study off-campus; participate in EL Travel Seminars or volunteer with an Alternative Spring Break (ASB) team. Apply for funds to assist you with internships and other opportunities.
- Make connections: Consider connecting your Senior Thesis proposal to your career goals.
- Meet with a Career Counselor: Collaborate with your counselor to help align your experiences with your resume.
Senior Year: Launch
- Be proactive: Attend workshops hosted by Career Education to learn more about the job search, interviewing, and negotiating salary/benefits.
- Network: Connect with professionals in the industries, locations, and companies that interest you by attending job fairs and using LinkedIn and Gator Connect.
- Organize: Meet with a Career Counselor to discuss graduate school applications, personal statements, and update your resume.
- Take the next steps: Finalize post graduate plans. Submit your graduate school and job applications EARLY! Schedule a mock interview with Career Education to prepare.