Will Eckenhoff

“I wanted a small school with close student-faculty relationships and a strong science department,” says Will. “The deciding factor for me was that Allegheny offered more than just science, so I could try other things and not be stuck if I didn’t like it.”

— Will Eckenhoff

Will Eckenhoff is serious about research. While working in a lab one summer, this chemistry major had the opportunity to synthesize a new research drug almost entirely on his own. For his Senior Project, he plans to synthesize various components of natural dyes to determine why they bind to wool. He hopes to complete a Ph.D. in chemistry someday so that he can teach at the college level.

But Will is also serious about something else— a long-standing ambition to fly jets for the U.S. Marine Corps.

“I never thought I’d be able to do it,” he admits, “but then I found out I was the perfect candidate: science background, 5 feet 9 inches tall, and 20/20 vision.” Now an officer candidate, Will plans to complete his second training session this summer so he can be commissioned after graduation.

Will works hard at his studies, including his psychology minor, but also at being fit, active, and a leader. An avid skier, he also enjoys woodworking, plays intramural football, serves as president of the chemistry club, and is a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity.

For Will, Allegheny represents choices and opportunities. “I wanted a small school with close student-faculty relationships and a strong science department,” says Will. “The deciding factor for me was that Allegheny offered more than just science, so I could try other things and not be stuck if I didn’t like it.”