The NaviGator Peer Mentoring Program
The NaviGator program will replace and enhance the Peer Leader program of previous years and will help connect new students with a continuing student (NaviGator) who will serve as a mentor and resource to a group of new students for the academic year.
What is a NaviGator?
NaviGators are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students who serve as peer mentors to a group of first years. NaviGators will be expected to work with students throughout both the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters. The primary responsibility of a NaviGator is to guide new students through their academic, social, and emotional transitions to the Allegheny community.
Any first year student can request a NaviGator and fill out the matching form that helps us pair a new student with a NaviGator based on a few shared interests. Throughout the semester there could be group and individual meet-ups and conversations that help new students feel more comfortable at Allegheny and knowledgeable about the resources and services available.
Additionally, there are 2 NaviGator Leaders who will serve as mentors for their fellow NaviGators and assist the Learning Commons with the administration of the program.
NaviGators and NaviGator Leaders will provide to new students:
- Personal mentorship and support through individual meetings with mentees
- Information on how to connect with campus resources
- conversations and resources on topics of importance to academic, social, or emotional transitions.
- At minimum, one group meet-up per month
- Opportunities to better understand and live the values of the Allegheny Statement of Community.
- Advice on forming and facilitating effective study groups
- Ensuring that new students attend targeted programming and other important events facilitated by academic departments and student life offices. (Gator Day events, etc.)
INTERESTED IN BEING A NAVIGATOR IN THE FUTURE?
Please note: Students who are 2014-2015 Resident Advisors, Fall 2014 athletes, or studying abroad for the Fall 2014 semester are not eligible for the NaviGator or NaviGator Leader positions.
- To have completed at least two semesters of coursework at Allegheny.
- To receive two recommendations, one of which must be from a faculty member.
- To demonstrate evidence of significant involvement in campus activities/organizations.
- To behave responsibly both within and outside of the classroom.
- To remain in good academic standing during their year of leadership.
NaviGators and NaviGator Leaders will attend:
- NaviGator Training
- Fall Orientation
- Gator Safe Zone Training – Level 1
- “Bringing in the Bystander” Training
- Regular meetings (approximately once a month) with Learning Commons staff
What are some of the benefits of being a NaviGator?
- A monetary stipend paid during the fall and spring semesters.
- An opportunity to work with new first year students and help them transition into the Allegheny community.
- Important leadership experience for inclusion on a resume.
- Personal and professional development.
Questions? Contact us!
If you have questions about any of the aspects of the NaviGator positions or the application process, please contact Ed Giles (email@example.com) or valerie guerrero (firstname.lastname@example.org).