Computing Services continues to work with the Sustainability Office to adopt and use technology in sustainable ways. The move towards sustainable computing is evolutionary. Our end goal is to use technology in ways congruent with our commitment to sustainability.
In purchasing new technology the environment impact is part of the purchasing decision.
- Energy Star and EPEAT ratings are a priority in purchasing decisions.
- Computers are purchased in bulk when possible to limit environmental impact of delivery.
Power Management -
Monitor Screensaver and Power Saving Options
Computers configured with Windows 7 are set to have the screen saver come on after 15 minutes and the monitor will turn off after 5 more minutes of inactivity. These settings save energy and unnecessary where and tear of the monitor. The monitor will come back when you click the mouse or tap a key.
Recommendations for the End of the Day
Users with a Desktop (Dells and Macs)
- Back up your data (using WS_FTP or Fetch)
- Shut down your Mac or Dell computer*
- Mac updates are not managed centrally
- Dell Optiplex are set to “wake” and receive updates
- Turn off peripherals – such as printers, monitor, and speakers connected to the computer.
*Note: Community members with Proteon brand towers should not shutdown the computers on weeknights. Instead restart the computer and leave it running so it can receive the necessary updates.
Users with Laptops
- Back up your data
- Laptops should always be turned off when not in use for extend periods of time to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the components.
- It is also a good idea to unplug your charger from the wall when not using it to charge your laptop battery. There is a lot of phantom draw from power adaptors left plugged into the wall but not actually charging the battery.
Printing and Paper
Use Duplexing on Copier Printers -
- Users are encouraged to print to the large capacity copier printers distributed around campus. All of these multi-function devices have the ability to print on both sides of the paper.
Directing Admin Print Jobs to File -
- When running reports or processes in Datatel, rather than printing directly to an admin printer, choose the hold file when possible. Download Directions (requires a pdf reader)
- Use Informer – Many reports are available for viewing in a web browser using or export to Adobe PDF and Microsoft Excel. Contact Computing Services if you do not have access to Informer and would like to.
Line Spacing and Margins -
- As a means to conserve paper yet maintain readability the new configuration sets line spacing within Microsoft Word to the variable of 1.15 with an extra line put between each paragraph.
- The margins have also been set to be 1 inch again to capitalize on more content per page without compromising too much in regards to readability.
Share Electronically Instead of Printing -
- Google Apps for Education makes it is easier to share and review documents electronically. Sure it has been possible to share documents as email attachments, but now with Google Docs you can create, share and review documents without putting it to paper.
Think Before You Print -
- Members of the community are encouraged to think of optional ways to share the information used in the course of a day. Here are a few ideas ways students, faculty, staff and administrators are using new technology to minimize what they need to print.
- Letting meeting participants know they are responsible for bringing the agenda if they want one. This cuts down printing of more agendas than are necessary.
- Meet in one of the many technology equiped meeting rooms on campus and share the agenda over the presentation equipment. If done as a Google Doc, you can also take the meeting notes and share with the group.
- A student groups that maintain calendars of their activities moved these calendars from printed calendars (that need to be reprinted as changes are made) are now using google calendar. Group members subscribe to the groups calendar giving all access to the same information and minimize the need to reprint calendars.
Print a Draft Copy -
- When you need to print multiple copies of a document, print one to double check that everything is as you wish. Once you are sure that it is set, print the appropriate number with the same settings.
- All courses have an online course space automatically generated through Sakai. Sakai has a built in tool for posting a syllabus. A growing number of faculty are utilizing this functionallity to provide students with the syllabus and minimize the need to print syllabi as changes are made.