Antivirus Software Policy
Student computers running Windows must have the Allegheny Trend Micro OfficeScan software installed to use the College network.
The College provides this software free of charge to students. The software includes free automatic updates and protects your computer when off campus using other networks.
Violations and Sanctions
The network is scanned on a regular basis to ensure computers using it are properly protected. Students found to be in violation of this requirement can expect the following sanctions:
First offense - If a student computer is detected as virus infected, the student will be notified and Computing Services will disconnect this computer from the network. It will not be reconnected to the network until the computer is “cleaned” of all viruses. The student will also receive a one-week network suspension.
Second offense - If a second offence occurs and another cleaning is required, the computer will not be reconnected to the network for a period of two weeks after it is cleaned.
Third offense - If a third offense occurs, the computer will not be reconnected to the network for the remainder of the current semester.
After registering for network access you will receive a notice with the link to install the Trend Micro OfficeScan software. If you do not complete this installation your network connection will be disabled and you will receive a one-week network suspension.
Note: Before installing Trend Micro OfficeScan you need to uninstall any antivirus software that is currently installed on your computer.
How do I uninstall my old antivirus software?
- First you need to know the maker of your antivirus software; the two most popular antivirus software packages are Norton (Symantec) and McAfee.
- Open Control Panel and double-click on the “Add/Remove Programs” icon.
- Look through the list of installed programs for the name of the antivirus software currently installed on your computer. If you are unsure look for something like Norton Antivirus or McAfee VirusScan (there may be some numbers or words following these words).
- Click on the antivirus software name and then click on the “Add/Remove” button.
- You will be prompted asking if you are sure you want to uninstall the software. Click on “YES”.
- If you are uninstalling Norton Antivirus you must also uninstall LiveUpdate, using the same method described here.
- After the uninstall is complete you need to restart your computer.