Software for Your Personal Computer
Software used on Allegheny College public lab computers is listed below. Follow links to download or purchase a copy for your personal computer. Note: all software is free unless otherwise indicated.
Browsers and Plug-Ins
- Acrobat Reader
- Chime: a chemical structure visualization plug-in.
- Cortona VRML Client
- CutePDF - Print files as .pdf
- Flash Player
- Internet Explorer
- Core FTP Lite, free FTP program for Windows.
- Fetch, FTP program for Mac OSX. Fetch is free for educational use.
- HyperSnap-DX, software for screen capture, $35 to register (free downloadand evaluation)
- Kompozer is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing. KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding.
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus, can be purchased at special pricing through our membership in the Association of Independent Colleges & Universities of PA from http://www.selectstudent.com/aicup Registered students, faculty and staff are eligible for this special pricing. See the web site for full details.
- Trend Micro OfficeScan, free for download when students register on the GatorNet residence hall network.
- UltraEdit: 45 day free evaluation; $49.95 toregister.
- WS_FTP: File transfer utility forWindows. WS_FTP Pro is $54.95 , and WS_FTP Home is $39.95
- Cn3D: a helper application for your web browser that allows you to view 3-dimensionalchemical structures.
- ChemOffice: Allegheny has a site license for ChemDraw Ultra. Students and faculty are entitled to a free download of this software for installation on a personal computer.
- Diatomic: Diatomic illustrates the translational, rotational, and vibrational motions of diatomic molecules from the perspectives of classical, quantum, and statistical mechanics. $59.95 for students.
- ISIS/Draw: drawing package for chemistry
- Kaleidagraph (password protected): Students currently enrolled in a class using Kaleidagraphare eligible to obtain a free copy of Kaleidagraph for their personal computer. Your professor can provide you with the login and password information needed to access the download page, and with the license information needed for the install.
- Mnova: the current version is available for download on the Mvoa site. Once downloaded you will need to activate with the campus license keys available for download when on campus.
- Mathematica: the standard student version is $139.95. Mathematica for Studentsis also available in 6-month or 12-month timed versions, for $44.95 and $69.95, respectively.We have a small number of student licenses available, reserved for students doing Mathematica-heavy research. See your comp or research advisor for information. Faculty are entitled to free home use licenses.
- ModFlow 2000: MODFLOW is a three-dimensional finite-difference ground-watermodel.
- PHREEQC: PHREEQC is a computer program designed to perform a wide varietyof low-temperature aqueous geochemical calculations.
- SPSS: Academic pricing available.