Video Conferencing Services
The video conferencing facility is a great way to have students and colleagues interact with people from all over the world. The original video conferencing equipment was purchased through a Link to Learn grant. This system was replaced the summer of 2009 to take advantage of advances in technology and further support internationalization efforts.
The video conference equipment has been used in a variety of ways including:
- Arabic language instruction
- multi-college discussion with a book’s author
- offering advanced computer science course
- team-teaching of course with ‘real world” expert
- viewing multi-institution satellite programs
- collaborating on international projects
- interviewing graduate school assistantships
- being a remote expert for colleagues at other institutions
Preparing for a Video Conference:
- Three weeks notice is requested to accomplish the required planning, setup, and testing to make your video conference a success.
- This check list is meant as a guide for you to help us help you. The most important part of utilizing the video conference facility is communication.
- The more information you can share with your instructional technologist or computing support person the easier it will be for him/her to help you through the process
- The video conference system that you are connecting to must be an IP based system. We are not able to connect to IDSN or phoneline based systems.
Preparation Check List:
- Coordinate the video conference day and time with Computing Services.
- Reserve the video conference room with the Computing Services @2755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Reserve the room for a test call prior to the day of the video conference.
- Reserve the room for the day of the video conference.
- Include an an extra 30 minutes before and after each reservation to allow for setup, testing, and clean up.
- technician name(s)
- phone number(s)
- IP address of the remote video conference
- date and time of actual conference date and time of test call
- type of equipment the used at the remote location(s)
- the connection speed of equipment at remote locations