Allegheny College welcomes the use of Ford Memorial Chapel for weddings. The Chapel comfortably seats 350 guests, and has been beautifully restored to showcase the warmth and character of its original Victorian design. In order to preserve the beauty and integrity of the Chapel, please note the guidelines below.
Wedding ceremonies may be held throughout the year. Reservations for weddings that occur during the academic year (mid-August through mid-May are made through Spiritual and Religious Life Office (814-332-2800). To arrange for weddings that occur during the summer months (mid-May through mid-August), please contact Conference & Event Services Office (814-332-3101). Either of these offices can provide information regarding availability and fee structure.
Ceremonies can be performed at various outdoor sites around campus. However, due to changing weather conditions, a $300 fee is required to reserve the Chapel if the ceremony needs to be moved indoors.
“We wanted to get married at Ford Chapel because it is a sacred space that we shared. Allegheny is a place we both love and feel at home so it only made sense to get married there.”
—Carolyn Roncolato Allgeier ’05 and Mike Allgeier ’02
Ford Chapel Amenities
- Approximately 350 people can be seated comfortably in Ford Chapel, 25 in the balcony and 325 in the pews on the ground floor.
- When scheduling the time of day for your ceremony, remember that summer days can be warm and humid in Meadville, and Ford Chapel is not air-conditioned. If the heat is a problem for family members, you may want to schedule your wedding earlier in the day.
- The Oratory, a side room in the Chapel, can be used as a dressing space, and others are available in the adjacent building. Although the Chapel is not air conditioned, we can provide fans when necessary. Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages are permitted in the Oratory.
- There are two unisex bathrooms available on the left side of the Chapel by the Oratory.
- Ford Chapel is wheelchair accessible.
- A staff member can meet with you at the Chapel to answer questions as you plan your wedding, and someone will be at the Chapel for your rehearsal and the wedding itself.
- Please note that smoking or the use of tobacco products is prohibited in campus buildings, and alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the Chapel or the Chapel grounds.
- Please contact the Spiritual and Religious Life Office for parking information to share with your guests, or to arrange for directional signs to be posted on the wedding day. Guests with limited mobility may be dropped off near the entrance.
- The Office of Public Safety (phone: 814-332-3357) is available in case of any emergencies.
- Please note that Ford Chapel is NOT air conditioned.
“We chose to get married back at Allegheny because over the years the school has meant so much to my family and to exchange our vows in Ford Chapel made it that much more special.”
—Randy Hutton ’98 and Mollie Hutton
For ecclesiastical permission to hold a Roman Catholic wedding in Ford Chapel, contact Father Jeff Lucas, Pastor of The Catholic Community of Meadville and Allegheny College’s Catholic Campus Minister. Father Lucas may be reached at 814-336-1112.
- The Chapel is available the Friday evening before (for a Saturday ceremony) and possibly as early as Friday during the day in the summer.
- Ford Chapel does not provide any decorations such as candles, candelabras, flowers, etc. There is no kneeling bench available in Ford Chapel, but they may be rented elsewhere.
- Ford Chapel is equipped with two wooden tables and lecterns and white tablecloths. Please use dripless or no-wax candles and request that your florist place plastic under any candelabras they use. We can provide white pew bows, but if you prefer to make your own please affix them to the pews with felt pipe cleaners, elastic, or string.
- Because the Chapel is used for many events, please make arrangements to have floral pieces and other decorations removed as soon after the service as possible.
- We do NOT provide aisle runners but if you are interested in using an aisle runner, there are two aisles in the Chapel, each are 13 feet from back of pews to front of pews, the width ranges from 44 to 50 inches (narrows toward altar); we suggest you contact your florist for aisle runner rental information.
- Bows or other decorations may be affixed to the pews with felt pipe cleaners or string.
- 36 half pews on the ground floor, 3 sets of twelve rows (left, center, right)
- 3 shorter pews stationed in back of chapel
- 20 pews of mixed length on upper floor, 5 rows
- Approximately 19 inches of leg room between pews
- We request that you not scatter flowers in the aisles, throw rice, or send off balloons, or lanterns, but you are welcome to use bubbles or birdseed outdoors as the bridal couple exits the Chapel.
“We wanted to get married at Allegheny because it was a special place that was significant for both of us and our relationship. We met at Allegheny and both loved it so much we wanted to have our families share and experience our love for Allegheny.”
—Julie Piekanski LaConte ’01 and Matt LaConte ’02
Reservation and Fees
There is a $300 reservation fee to book the chapel. This covers both the reservation and any custodial fees; additional fees for other services may apply. The chapel will be reserved the night before (for rehearsal) and the day of the ceremony. No more than one ceremony will be booked on the same day.
The cost for the Allegheny Community (alumni and employees) to rent Ford Chapel is $60.00.
- Available for your use is a Steinway grand piano and a Tellers Digital Electronic Organ, and we can provide a list of organists who are familiar with this particular instrument. To protect the beauty and value of these instruments, please leave them in place and unadorned.
- There are no parameters regarding what type of music can be played during the service.
Birdseed is permissible following the ceremony, however rice, confetti, etc. are not.