Title: Associate Professor and Director of Writing
Research Fields of Interest: Civic Rhetoric, Computers and Writing, Undergraduate Research, Veteran Studies
Degrees: B.A., The University of Rochester; Ph.D., The University of Georgia
Phone: (814) 332-6296
Office Location: Odd Fellows 231
Office Hours: Fall 2017
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 10:00-10:50 AM; Tuesdays 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
Learning Commons Hours: Tuesdays 2:30-4:00 PM; Wednesdays 8:30-9:30 PM
Courses and Syllabi (FA ’17)
- Editor. How to Start an Undergraduate Research Journal. Council on Undergraduate Research (2012).
- With Christy Desmet and Deborah Church Miller. Prentice Hall Literature Portfolio. Pearson/Prentice Hall (2007).
Chapters in books
- With Mariana Grohowski, “Leveraging the Power of the Web for Work: Female Veterans’ Online Efforts to Combat Unemployment.” Women, Work, and the Web: How the Web Creates Entrepreneurial Opportunities. Ed. Carol Smallwood. (2015).
- With Sean Morrow. “Veterans in College Writing Classes: Understanding and Embracing the MutualBenefit.” Generation Vet: Composition Studies, Veterans, and the Post-9/11 University. Ed. Sue Doe and Lisa Langstraat. (2014).
- “Undergraduate Research Journals: Why and How?” How to Start an Undergraduate Research Journal. Ed. D. Alexis Hart. Council on Undergraduate Research (2012). With Ron Balthazor, Christy Desmet, Sara Steger, and Robin Wharton.
- “<emma>: An Electronic Writing Space.” Designing Web-based Applications for 21st Century Writing Classrooms. Ed. George Pullman and Baotong Gu. Baywood Publishing (2012).
- “Teaching Citizen Soldiers: Civic Rhetoric and the Intersections of Theory and Practice at the Virginia Military Institute.” Military Culture and Education. Ed. Douglas Higbee. Ashgate Press (2011).
- With Christy Desmet, Robert Cummings, and William Findlay.“Performing the Personal in On-Line Writing Classes.” Role Play: Distance Learning and the Teaching of Writing. Ed. Jonathan Alexander and Marcia Dickson. Hampton Press (2006).
- With Lindsay Sabatino. “Continuing the Conversation: From Conference Presentation to Publication.” The Peer Review: A Journal for Writing Center Practitioners, Issue Zero. (Fall 2015).
- With Roger Thompson. “War, Trauma, and the Writing Classroom.” Writing on the Edge 23.2 (Spring 2013).
- “Inquiring Communally, Acting Collectively: The Community Literacy of the Academy Women eMentor Portal and Facebook Group.” Community Literacy Journal: Special Issue on digital technologies and community literacy. Ed. Melody Bowdon and Russell Carpenter. (forthcoming). With Keith Kline and Patricia Hardin.
- “Keys to a Professional and Profitable Regional Undergraduate Research Conference: The BigSURS at VMI.” CUR Quarterly 32.4 (Summer 2012).
- With Roger Thompson. “”An Ethical Obligation’: Promising Practices for Student Veterans in College Writing Classes.” NCTE/CCCC. June 2013. <http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Groups/CCCC/AnEthicalObligation.pdf>.
- Selected participant, National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Summer Institute: “Veterans in Society: Ambiguities and Representations” (2016)
- Competitively Selected Participant, Inaugural Dartmouth Summer Seminar for Composition Research (August 2011)
- CCCC’s Research Initiative Grant, $10,000, maximum award, 1 of 3 grants funded out of 36 applications (2011)
- University of Georgia Excellence in Teaching Award (2003)
- Kairos/Lore TA/Adjunct Award For Excellence in Teaching Writing with Computers (2002)