Christine Dersi

“I came to Allegheny knowing its environmental science department was supreme.”

— Christine Dersi

Christine Dersi chose to major in environmental studies, with a concentration in community development and land use, because of experiences with urban development in high school. “I came to Allegheny knowing its environmental science department was supreme,” she says.

“I chose art in the environment as a minor because it deals with a creative approach to the global environmental crisis,” says Christine. “I pride myself on the ability to think and approach issues creatively, and I feel this can only benefit my lifelong goal of becoming a community developer.”

To round out her creative pursuits and academic studies, Christine takes every opportunity to gain concrete experience. She’s been a biology research assistant, an intern at the Meadville Community Energy Project, and a research assistant to the French Creek Watershed Project. Christine is also the outdoor columnist for the Campus newspaper, vice president of the Outing Club, and president of the Ski Club. A serious photographer, she won a first-place award in the 2004-05 Experiential Learning Term Photography Show.

Christine’s passions include anything outdoors: backpacking, rock climbing, snowshoeing, skiing, kayaking, and mountain biking. In fact, one of the reasons she chose Allegheny was its geographic location. “There are the Allegheny mountains, ski resorts, a national forest, and hundreds of miles of hiking and mountain bike trails,” she says. “The location of this college puts me in heaven!”