The Boren scholarship provides opportunities for undergraduate students to become more proficient in the cultures and languages of world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East). Maximum awards are $20,000. Funding is available for the academic year, semester, and summer. (Summer awards only available to students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.)
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate in an accredited U.S. institution
Because Boren Scholarships are funded by the National Security Education Program (NSEP), recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year in exchange for funding.
Deadline is February 5, 2014. Please visit www.borenawards.org to find further information and an application.
GILMAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP:
The Gilman International Scholarship offers scholarships to students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Over 2,300 awards are offered up to $5,000 to apply toward study abroad program costs. Students studying a critical need language (Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Swahili, Bahasa Indonesia, or Chinese, Indic, Persian, or Turkic languages) are eligible for an additional $3,000 for a total possible award of $8,000.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be an undergraduate student at a 2 or 4 year institution in the United States
- Must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of study abroad
- Must be applying to a study abroad program eligible for credit at the student’s institution
- Must be studying abroad for a minimum of 4 weeks
Deadline for summer or fall & academic year applications is March 5. The student deadline for spring applications is October 2. Please visit www.iie.org/gilman to find further information and an application.
ITALIARAIL STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP:
ItaliaRail is a small Boston-area based travel company that specializes in rail travel throughout Italy. It is offering two $1,000 scholarship to students planning on studying abroad in Italy through their school’s study abroad programs.
- Must be enrolled in second or third year undergraduate education program at a recognized US university of college
- Must have been accepted and confirmed participation in Italy study abroad program
- Must have at least a 3.25 cumulative GPA
- Must be on financial aid
Deadline to apply is May 31, 2014. Please visit http://www.italiarail.com/scholarship to find further details.