Called to Serve

We made a difference for Fancy

Her name was Fancy. She had a tan coat and a dark brown mane with streaks of blonde; she certainly was fancy. She nuzzled and nipped my jacket as I worked to get debris out of her forelock. Those ten minutes I spent with that horse made my week.

On one Saturday every October, Allegheny students commune in Diamond Park at 7:00AM (yes, 7:00AM on a Saturday) to begin Make a Diffrerence Day (MADD). MADD is a county wide holiday in Crawford county. Teams of people are assigned to local community service projects to make a difference in the community, hence make a difference day. Projects can range from the laborous to the lazy, from, roofing, building porches, or cleaning homes to gardening, picking up littler, or grooming horses. This year and last, Dumbledore’s Army has gone to Mystic Mountain Training Facility, where we’ve helped with their garden, weeded pastures, cleaned stables, and fed horses like Fancy.

If there’s one thing I admire about campus, it’s the number of opportunities provided to give back, from MADD, to the Dance – a – thon for autism awareness, to the pancake breakfast for St. Jude’s Childrens’ Hospital, to service saturdays (like mini MADDs), and even to service trips abroad. Last winter I built homes for a poor community in Jamaica! Groups on campus strive to give to the Meadville community as well as to other charitable organizations. For an Allegheny student, it’s quite possible that every day is a make a difference day.