A Gator Going Global

It’s hard to believe I’ve started the last full month of my second year at Allegheny. I’ll have completed half of my undergraduate education this May and I won’t be returning to campus as a full time student for another year and a half. This seems to me like an appropriate time to reflect on my choice to go abroad, and the steps I took to make it a reality.

I first heard about the opportunity to spend a year abroad at the London School of Economics and Political Science (known as LSE for short) last spring. A friend from one of my classes introduced me to their “General Course” program. Since then, I researched and subsequently fell in love with the school and program. LSE is one of the top schools for social sciences, so it attracts political and economic leaders to campus from around the world. As a political science major, this was very exciting news. I look forward to attending many of the lectures given by guest speakers to the university. Besides academics, the central London location was a pretty nice plus.

I was finally accepted by LSE mid-January after months of preparation, and I had completed my last Allegheny pre-departure meeting by the end of March.  I’d learned a lot thanks to this process, and each part was integral to what I hope is a successful year abroad.

Just a couple weeks ago, I received LSE’s “Offer Pack” which details the course and fully explains what to expect. I also should hear about my housing soon. It’s all quickly picking up from here and I’m thrilled I’ll get to share my journey. While the thought can make me nervous at times, I’m excited to expand my horizons. I look forward to trying new food, meeting new friends, finding new spaces, and learning about Political Science in a completely different environment.

As my journey progresses, I’ll post updates here. Also, as a girl who loves photography, expect many photos of my experiences. Please comment or share this blog as you see fit, I’d love to make this a conversation. I may be the first Allegheny student to go to LSE’s General Course, but I’m excited to bring a little bit of Meadville with me.

7 Responses to “A Gator Going Global”

1. Simon says:

Great post Aurley! LSE sounds like it will be a wonderful experience and I’m looking forward to hearing more about your time in England!

2. Rachel says:

I am especially excited to follow your journey through your photos, Aurley! You are so talented at all that you do. You will do GREAT at LSE. Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

3. Barry Kidd says:

Congratulations on your acceptance to LSE Aurley. I’m certain it will be a great experience.

Even as I type this a friend of mine has been accepted under a similar program to study in Morocco and I know she’s really excited about the prospects it offers.

Thank you for sharing and good Luck,

Barry

4. Caitlyn says:

I’m so stoked for you!!! I want to hear every tiny detail about your time abroad! Lots of love <3

5. Cara says:

My dear, I am so proud of you and excited for you. (It was extra-special to be able to congratulate you in person when you were here in New York several weeks ago.)

I look forward to hearing all about your studies and adventures, seeing your photos, and maybe even meeting up with you there if I can pop across the pond. Congrats again — you’ve hitched your wagon to a star!

Big hugs and best wishes, LF! xoxo

6. Liz Mays says:

Congrats Aurley! I’m a Gator (’80) who was inspired to do a M.Sc. in Accounting and Finance at LSE by my Allegheny Economics professor Earl Adams. My year in London (1984-85) was fantastic and LSE really expanded my horizons. It’s an amazing learning environment that I’m sure you’ll enjoy. And don’t forget that LSE also stands for Let’s See Europe!!

7. Aurora Arop says:

Don’t leave please!

Congratulations on your acceptance to LSE Aurley. I cannot tell you enough…how much I am excited for you. I am hopeful that you’ll do amazing there, as always.

I am, of course looking forward to visiting you while in London.

Once again, Congratulations. I believe in you, best friend.