The End

Graduation is less than a week away and I’ve been walking around in a constant bubble of nostalgia.  With my comp completed, I reflect on my four years at Allegheny and what it’s meant to me.

You know, I almost didn’t come to college.  I had some lofty dreams of hitchhiking around the country.  I knew that I was a naive kid, and I thought bumming around would teach me what I needed to know about life.  Maybe it would have.  But I look back at who I was in high school and how I’ve changed since then and I fully recognize that I am a different person.  I’m comfortable and confident.  I didn’t have to wander around the country alone to figure myself out.

I took classes that interested me, a wide, eclectic variety.  I joined clubs and service organizations; even led a few.  I came into contact with people from all over the globe, and I was given opportunities to travel all over the globe.  I surrounded myself with fun and intelligent people that helped me grow everyday.

Sure, it wasn’t all sunshine and daisies (very little sunshine in fact), but the challenges and hardships that I experienced helped sculpt my character.  I learned how to meet challenges and rise above them, manage tough schedules, do difficult academic work, care for friends when they were in need, care for myself when I was in need.

Graduation Stage

Graduation Stage

They say that this is the age in which we become the people who we are for the rest of our lives.  If that’s the case, then I’m proud to have spent these years at Allegheny College, becoming the person I am today, the optimistic person who in 5 days will walk across the stage to shake hands and finally hold my diploma, the holy grail of my four year academic adventure.

What’s next?  I love to write, so I’ll continue to do that in whatever way I can.  And I love to travel, so I am getting certified to Teach English as a Foreign Language.  The opportunities are boundless.  No matter what, I feel very confident that what I’ve learned at Allegheny has adequately prepared me for the challenges of tomorrow and of the rest of my life.