All Thanks to Alumni

Gator Locator is a service at Allegheny that will connect you with alumni where ever they may be. It provides pertinent details about the alumni like where they're located, their contact information, and how they are looking to help students.

Gator Locator is a service at Allegheny that will connect you with alumni where ever they may be. It provides pertinent details about the alumni like where they’re located, their contact information, and how they are looking to help students.

“Are you applying to any summer internships?” I was asked this question around the beginning of my of my first spring semester at Allegheny. My reply was something like, “I’ve been looking into that and jobs for the summer,” but I honestly didn’t know how to find an internship or what they were looking for in applicants or how to land a position. I didn’t think it was a big deal if I got one or not considering I was only a freshman, at least I didn’t think that at first. When four of my friends came back in the fall talking about paid internships they had done over the summer I knew I what I’d be applying for next spring.

Unfortunately I wasn’t accepted into any internships my sophomore year and my prospects for junior year were looking pretty grim. That is until I saw a presentation on internships and spoke to my advisor. Allegheny has a huge network of alumni across the country looking to hire students from their alma mater. Before I knew it, my advisor was forwarding me an email from one his former students looking for interns this summer. One application later, I was accepted into the American Heart Association Student Undergrad Research Fellowship (AHA SURF) at Penn State Hershey Medical College. I’ll be on their campus for 10 weeks studying diabetes with a talented team of scientists this summer. I guess this just goes to show it isn’t always what, but who you know.