Internship Week 4

Waiting in line for the Ferris Wheel - a safe ride for me

Waiting in line for the Ferris Wheel – a safe ride for me

My transition into the laboratory has been seamless. After four weeks I feel a lot more comfortable, I’ve become way more efficient with my time because I’m asking fewer questions, and I’m more confident with the skills I’ve learned. All of a sudden this is really becoming my project. The rats downstairs have my name on the cages. Amanda isn’t really helping me analyze glucose transporters, rather she’s working on a separate project altogether. I do everything for my research from start to finish and try to decipher the results. It feels pretty amazing.

What is also amazing is learning to cook for myself. At Allegheny I cook on occasion, but here there is no dining hall and there are no meal plans. It feels really grown up to go grocery shopping and buy actual groceries – not just snacks and cereal.

Not only am I learning new skills, but I’m learning my limitations, namely roller coasters. This weekend a group of us went to Hershey Park and overall it was a fun trip. What I learned was it only takes 2 roller coasters for me to get sick, so I spent most of the day watching the others have a good time. When my head wasn’t spinning though, I did enjoy myself. Although the skyrocket ride was the literal highest point of my day, Red Robin was the highlight of my night.