Internship Week 5

Neurons with different lasers applied to them

IMAG0350

I have no clue what this piece of equipment is or what it does. I just happened to find it one day. It looks really fancy.

IMAG0353

Electrophysiology is a technique where electrical recordingins are taken from individual cells as they are treated with chemicals and/or electricity. This computer monitor is showing a cell's response.

Electrophysiology is a technique where electrical recordingins are taken from individual cells as they are treated with chemicals and/or electricity. This computer monitor is showing a cell’s response.

This is the equipment for electrophysiology that will change the conditions around the cell. The TV is a live view of the micrscope stage so you can see the cell that you are treating.

IMAG0356 IMAG0355

This is the microscope used in electrophysiology set ups, complete with various tube and syringes to treat cells.

cool pic 2cool pic 1

So many neurons!

So many neurons!

These

When I go to analyze my images using a computer program, it looks like this.

are some pictures I’ve taken around the lab – more to come!

When I go to analyze an individual cell it looks more like this.

This is an example of acid/base chemistry. When I add the base to this solution is turns hot pink. Who said science can't be pretty?

This is an example of acid/base chemistry. When I add the base to this solution is turns hot pink. Who said science can’t be pretty?

This is a really fancy looking piece of equipment with a really basic purpose - it heats little glass tubes and pulls them apart.

This is a really fancy looking piece of equipment with a really basic purpose – it heats little glass tubes and pulls them apart.

I actually have no idea what this is or why its bubbling, I just thought it looked really cool

This is what a network of neurons looks like under the confocal microscope. The green shows glucose transporters in the cells. The red/yellow means the cells project to the stomach.