The Beginning of the End

This is my class photo taken when I was a freshmen, which coincidentally is also the photo above on the gatorblog website. See if you can find me in either picture.

I am old. I do not mean this literally considering that I have only recently turned 20 years old. I say this to convey that I have now achieved senior status. You heard me right – attention world: I am now a college senior!

All of a sudden so many things that come with being a senior are not some abstract concept. The senior comprehensive project (comp) that is said to devour the social lives of Allegheny seniors is no longer so enigmatic now that it has ambushed me. I blinked and suddenly I was comping, though it has yet to ruin my social life (see future posts). Applying to med schools was not just something I was preparing for, it’s something I’m doing (see previous post, “Three Years Later”). For once I had no trouble registering for classes. Why? because I have seniority! That rumored feeling of nostalgia you get after three years – I have it now after being here three years!

This is going to be a big year for me for a number of reasons. It’s my last chance to savor my college experience, to bond with my “other mother” and to wring this $50,000 education for every penny. Furthermore, it is the last frontier before I fully enter adulthood which means I might actually have to grow up – like all the way! I am horrified, I am happy, I am panicked, I am prepared, I am reluctant, I am ready, and I am graduating.