Three Allegheny Students Accepted into Penn State College of Medicine Primary Care Scholars’ Program

As the result of a rigorous application process coordinated by Director of Pre-Professional Studies Kirsten Peterson ’78, three Allegheny students were among a select group accepted into the Penn State College of Medicine Primary Care Scholars’ Program, which took place May 18-28.  Students chosen to participate in this program were judged on academic excellence, well-rounded life experiences, clinical exposure and service orientation.

Liana Leja ’17, Clara Moller ’16 and Kent Sabatose ’17 met with medical faculty and students in discussion groups, seminar presentations and informal gatherings on the Penn State College of Medicine’s Hershey campus to learn about health-care delivery and primary care, medical school admissions, financial aid and the medical school curriculum process.

“The Penn State College of Medicine Primary Care Scholars’ Program provided me with more than knowledge of the versatile nature of primary care,” said Kent Sabatose, a biochemistry major and psychology minor. “It brought students from across Pennsylvania together who share the same goals and interests as me to create an engaging environment where we could learn from each other.”

“Through the Penn State Primary Care Program, I was exposed to a broad base of medical professionals. Listening to firsthand experiences of physicians gave me key insights on the needs and challenges our healthcare system currently faces,” added Liana Leja, a biology major and global health studies minor.  “Having the opportunity to ask questions to current medical students was extremely helpful. It was an awesome experience, and I’m very glad to have been a part of this program.”

Programs on the philosophy and practice of primary care within the disciplines of family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics were followed by weeklong shadowing experiences in primary care physicians’ offices.

“The Penn State College of Medicine Primary Care Scholars’ Program was an outstanding opportunity for me to learn more about the realities of being in a Primary Care setting and how a career in Primary Care can launch me into an incredible medical career,” said Clara Moller, a double major in neuroscience and psychology.  “I was also able to experience the type of dynamic learning environment Hershey Medical School offers and engage with peers that have the same passion and ambition as me. My experience with this program provided me with endless tools and invaluable knowledge on how to envision my future in medicine and how to make my dream of being a family physician come true.”

Students interested in careers in the health professions and in this and other experiential learning opportunities may contact Director of Pre-Professional Studies Kirsten Peterson at kpeterso@allegheny.edu.

Photo: Allegheny College students Liana Leja, Clara Moller and Kent Sabatose (left to right) were among a select group of students chosen to participate in the Penn State College of Medicine Primary Care Scholars’ Program.