Under the Allegheny College sponsored Tuition Benefit Program, two distinct approaches are taken to provide continued education for the College’s employees, spouses, domestic partners and dependent children: Tuition Remission (attendance at Allegheny College); and Tuition Exchange (attendance at other participating institutions).
- Employee must be a regular, full-time employee of Allegheny College;
- Spouse must be married to a regular, full-time employee of Allegheny College;
- Partner must be in a committed relationship of at least one full year with a full-time regular employee and financially interdependent as defined in the Allegheny College Domestic Partner Benefits Policy;
- Dependent Child must be a dependent of a regular, full-time employee and be claimed as a dependent of the employee on his/her federal income tax statement for 3 consecutive years prior to application for tuition. Legal documentation showing that the employee is the custodial parent for at least 50% of the time for three consecutive years prior to application for tuition is acceptable proof of dependency. Eligibility is limited to the equivalent of eight (8) semesters of full-time enrollment. The age limit for completion of benefits is 26 years of age.Note: Dependent children of deceased, retired, or disabled employees are eligible when the service requirement of the program is satisfied.
The length of service an employee has with the College affects the tuition eligibility for dependent children only.
Service requirements for Tuition Exchange and Tuition Remission are immediate eligibility for active employees; at least 6 years of service if employee is deceased; at least 10 years of service if employee is retired or disabled.
Employees hired before July 1, 1998, are eligible to apply for the tuition grant benefit; however, if the institution the student wants to attend participates in the tuition exchange program, application must be made through tuition exchange first, and only if the student is denied tuition exchange, will the employee be given the tuition grant benefit.
All programs cover tuition payments only.
Tuition Remission and Tuition Exchange Programs are available for eligible dependent children. Employees, spouses, and partners may apply under the Tuition Remission Program only.
- Dependent Child candidates must be accepted in a 2- or 4-year undergraduate degree program to be eligible for consideration under both tuition benefit programs. Only institutions issuing a diploma will be accepted. Certificate programs will not be considered.
- Employee, Spouse, and Partner may be degree seeking or not, or already have a 4-year degree. If desiring credits for an undergraduate degree, the individual must be accepted as a viable student by the College.
- Employee may only attend Allegheny on a part-time basis. Full time employees of Allegheny College may take up to 4 credits per semester or 8 credits per academic year tuition-free. Full time employees engaged in a degree program may take up to 5 credits in those semesters they are completing one of the Academic Planning (APL) units. Time spent in class must be made up without the charge of overtime.
- Spouse or Partner may attend Allegheny on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Dependent Child may attend Allegheny on a full-time or part-time basis; however, if participating in the Tuition Exchange Program, they must attend their chosen institution as a full-time student.
Applications for Tuition Remission and the Tuition Exchange as well as the Council of Independent Colleges’ Tuition Exchange Program are available in the Financial Aid Office. A list of participating institutions is provided at each program’s website. For an application or additional information, please call 814-332-2701.
Employees may appeal situations that do not exactly meet the criteria of these programs by submitting such circumstances in writing to the Allegheny Executive Committee (AEC).
Allegheny College reserves the right to amend, modify, interpret or discontinue all or part of this Policy at any time as it does with all College sponsored Plans and Policies.