Frequently Asked Questions

Does Allegheny provide scholarships or financial aid to international students?
Yes. All international applicants will be considered for scholarships ranging from $5,000 to half- and three quarter-tuition. In addition, international students may be eligible for larger financial aid awards, including and up to full-tuition scholarships.

Does Allegheny offer scholarships that cover all costs?
No. International applicants might qualify for one of our prestigious full-tuition scholarships; however, these students are responsible for covering costs such as room and board, books, international health insurance, and incidental expenses.

What are the requirements for a full-tuition scholarship?
Allegheny does not have any specific requirements to qualify for a full-tuition scholarship. Allegheny is looking for high-achieving international students who challenge themselves both inside and outside of the classroom and who display a high level of interest in the College. Students who display unusual combinations of interests, skills, and talents will receive extra consideration.

Rustic BridgeDoes Allegheny offer support services for international students?
Yes. The International Programs and Services office provides support to help you integrate into campus and community life and also provides general information on immigration materials and other resources. Learn more about the International Programs and Services office and the services it provides here.

The SAT is not available where I live. Can you waive the SAT requirement?
We require only one standardized test of all of our international applicants. If you do not take the SAT, you would then have to take either the ACT or the TOEFL. However, if you take both the TOEFL and the SAT, please send both sets of scores along with your application.

My coursework has all been in English. Do I have to take the TOEFL?
No. We only require one standardized test from our international applicants. If you do not wish to take the TOEFL, you would then have to take either the SAT or the ACT. If you take more than one standardized test, we require that you send all scores to us.

I have already graduated from college with a bachelor’s degree. Can I enter a graduate program at Allegheny College?
No, Allegheny is a purely undergraduate institution that awards B.A. and B.S. degrees.

When will I receive notice of Allegheny’s decision on my application?
You will be notified on or before April 1.

When will I receive my financial aid award decision?
You will find that information in your decision letter, which is sent on or before April 1.

When will I receive my I-20 form?
Only students who have been accepted by Allegheny receive I-20 forms. Once you have been accepted, your I-20 form will be mailed to you. If you wish to accept Allegheny’s offer of admission, you must submit a non-refundable deposit of $400 by May 1.

How can I check the status of my application?
Any questions regarding your application status should be directed to Bob Baldwin, the International Admissions Coordinator, at:, or by phone at (814)-332-4351.