Immigration Information

Brooks WalkMost international students will study at Allegheny on an F-1 visa.

To obtain an F-1 visa, a foreign citizen must furnish his or her home country’s U.S. consulate with proof of ability to meet educational expenses, along with a Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 visa (this is the I-20 form). I-20 forms for incoming foreign students are issued by Allegheny College only after a student has been admitted and returned a completed Certificate of Financial Responsibility.

Please click here for more specific information on matters associated with being an international student with an F-1 student visa in the U.S.

If you are a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, regardless of whether or not you reside in the U.S., you are considered to be a domestic student for purposes of application.

International students who are currently in the U.S. on a different visa (e.g., a high school F-1 visa or an H-4) should indicate their current visa class on their applications. If you have any questions about studying at Allegheny without changing your status to F-1, please contact the International Student Services Office.