Software used on Allegheny College public lab computers is listed below. Follow links to download or purchase a copy for your personal computer. Note: all software is free unless otherwise indicated.
Browsers and Plug-Ins
- Acrobat Reader
- Chime: a chemical structure visualization plug-in.
- Cortona VRML Client
- CutePDF – Print files as .pdf
- Flash Player
- Internet Explorer
- Core FTP Lite, free FTP program for Windows.
- Fetch, FTP program for Mac OSX. Fetch is free for educational use, learn more about licensing Fetch at Allegheny.
- Kompozer is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing. KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding.
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus, can be purchased at special pricing through our membership in the Association of Independent Colleges & Universities of PA from http://www.selectstudent.com/aicup Registered students, faculty and staff are eligible for this special pricing. See the web site for full details.
- Trend Micro OfficeScan, free for download when students register on the GatorNet residence hall network.
- UltraEdit: 45 day free evaluation; $49.95 to register.
- WS_FTP: File transfer utility for Windows. WS_FTP Pro is $54.95 , and WS_FTP Home is $39.95
- Cn3D: a helper application for your web browser that allows you to view 3-dimensionalchemical structures.
- ChemOffice: Allegheny has a site license for ChemDraw Ultra. Students and faculty are entitled to a free download of this software for installation on a personal computer.
- Diatomic: Diatomic illustrates the translational, rotational, and vibrational motions of diatomic molecules from the perspectives of classical, quantum, and statistical mechanics. $59.95 for students.
- ISIS/Draw: drawing package for chemistry
- Kaleidagraph (password protected): Students currently enrolled in a class using Kaleidagraph are eligible to obtain a free copy of Kaleidagraph for their personal computer.
- Mnova: Download on the Mnova for Mac or Windows. Once downloaded you will need to activate with the campus license keys available for download when on campus.
- Mathematica: Mathematica is available for download and installation on both student and faculty computers. See this handout for more information about acquiring and using Mathematica.
- ModFlow 2000: MODFLOW is a three-dimensional finite-difference ground-watermodel.
- PHREEQC: PHREEQC is a computer program designed to perform a wide varietyof low-temperature aqueous geochemical calculations.
- SPSS: Academic pricing available.