2017 First Year Voices Speaking Competition
The Director of Speaking and peer speaking consultants invite first year students to submit a speech for the First Year Voices speaking competition.
Cash awards will be given to the top three speakers: First Place $50, Second Place $35, and Third Place $25.
- This contest is open to all first year students
- Speeches should be no longer than seven minutes.
- Speech can be on any subject. The speech may be one that was given for a class assignment.
- Speeches must be delivered extemporaneously. Speakers may use notes but may not speak from a manuscript.
- Students enter the contest by emailing a recording of their speech to the Speaking Consultant email account (email@example.com) by Friday March 31st. Entries must be received by 5:00 PM.
- A selection committee will determine the top seven speakers from the entries received.
- The top seven speakers will be notified by Wednesday April 5th.
- The top seven speakers will compete live on Wednesday April 12th. The competition will begin at 5:00 PM.
- Performances may include visual aids.
- Speeches will be judged on originality of thought, extemporaneous delivery skills, use of supporting evidence, organization, and engagement with audience.