German majors are required to have a GPA of at least 2.0 in German at graduation. Only German courses taken at Allegheny on a letter-grade basis are included in the GPA calculation; for repeated courses, only the most recent grade is included. Only GERMN 600 may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis. Courses taken in an approved program abroad may count for the major and minor.
The Major in German Requires:
Completion of a minimum of 42 semester credit hours. Students must take:
- FSMLG 201 – Academic Communication in Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (see the “Modern and Classical Languages” section for course description). Double majors meeting their FS 201 requirement through another major should consult with their German major advisor.
- GERMN 305 – Advanced German in a Cultural Context OR
- GERMN 310 – Advanced German in Literary Context
- GERMN 325 – German Culture
- Two more 300-level courses in German
- At least one 400-level course in German