Allegheny’s Chien to put on back-to-back farewell concerts

This weekend, members of the greater Meadville community have an opportunity to witness back-to-back farewell performances by pianist Alec Chien. Since 1980, Chien has served as artist-in-residence and professor of music at Allegheny College. After 35 years on the faculty, Chien, 62, has announced plans to retire after the end of the current academic year.

Friday’s concert begins at 7:30 p.m. in Ford Chapel, where Chien performs as guest artist with the Alexander String Quartet. The quartet is also be joined by the Allegheny Chamber Choir.

Saturday’s solo performance is at 3 p.m. in Shafer Auditorium in the college’s Henderson Campus Center.
Both events are free and open to the public.

“I really want these two to be a thank-you to the community,” Chien said. “I think I express myself better with music than with words.”

Read the full article.

Mary Spicer serves as special to The Meadville Tribune.

Photo: Allegheny College senior Ben Zuchelkowski plays the piano while music professor and artist-in-residence Alec Chien jokes with him to keep the session upbeat and fun. Photo by Shannon Roae, The Meadville Tribune.

Source: Academics, Publications & Research