Nationally recognized experts regularly visit campus to lecture on topics of current interest. Two lectureship programs are endowed.
Research experience in Budapest, Hungary each summer with Dr. David Statman.
With the assistance and support of the department, many of our students obtain paid summer employment in a research environment. In recent years, students have worked at:
Argonne National Laboratory; Fermi National Laboratory; Jet Propulsion Laboratory; Air Force Radio-Biological Laboratory; Naval Research Laboratory; F.S. Seiler Research Lab (USAF); Cornell National Supercomputer Facility
Allegheny also offers opportunities for summer research with faculty.
- American Physical Society (APS): both faculty and students present research papers at national and regional meetings.
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- Sigma Xi: student forum for presentation of research projects
- Society of Physics Students: student-run organization with a goal to increase interest in physics among the community and campus alike, as well as aid students in physics-related areas
- Optical Society of America
- International Planetarium Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
The department awards prizes for the best Senior Project, the best Senior Project in experimental physics, and outstanding work by a major through the junior year.