Allegheny Hillel enjoys a close relationship with Meadville’s small Jewish community and rents space in the Jewish Community Center (JCC), located at the northwest corner of campus at the intersection of Park Avenue and Allegheny Street. A designated room for Hillel is furnished with comfy couches and offers space for meetings, social events, and studying. A larger room with a bimah at one end and kosher kitchen at the other provides space for Shabbat services and dinners.
With roots going back to 1866, the present JCC dates to the 1930s when Jewish leaders in the community began to gather for religious and social activities. They affiliated with B’Nai Brith in 1935, and a women’s auxiliary was formed soon thereafter. In 1952 they began efforts to construct the current building, which held its first worship services for the High Holidays in 1955. Although the community does not have a resident rabbi, JCC leaders collaborate with the campus Rabbi and Hillel for joint High Holiday services and attend Hillel Shabbats and other events.