In the event of a major, campus-wide outage, Allegheny College has emergency generators that will restore power to most areas of campus. To report a minor, localized power outage in a residence hall, call x3357 during all hours. If there is a minor power outage in campus areas other than residence hall, call Physical Plant at x5378. After normal business hours call Safety and Security at x3357.
Keep a flashlight and batteries in key locations throughout your work areas.
IN CASE OF A MAJOR, CAMPUS-WIDE POWER OUTAGE:
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions from Safety and Security.
- If evacuation of a building is required, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments, unplug electrical equipment, and shut off research gases prior to evacuating. All chemicals should be stored in their original locations. Fully open fume hoods. If this is not possible or natural ventilation is inadequate, evacuate the laboratory until the power is returned.
- Do not light candles or other types of flames for lighting.
- Unplug all electrical equipment (including computers) and turn off the light switches.
IF PEOPLE ARE TRAPPED IN AN ELEVATOR:
- Tell passengers to stay calm and that you are getting help.
- Call x3357 and provide information.
- Stay near the passengers until police or other assistance arrives provided it is safe to stay in the building.