A resource for connecting to the Allegheny Community
The purpose of the Allegheny College Mentor Program is to provide new staff (exempt and non-exempt) a contact outside of their department to assist them in learning more about the College and meeting colleagues outside of their building.
Assigning a Mentor:
Each new employee who has requested a mentor will be assigned a mentor of the same status (i.e., exempt or non-exempt), and works in a different building as the new employee. Mentors will be assigned only one new employee within a 1—year period.
To ensure confidentiality, employees interested in serving in a mentor role should submit an application to Human Resources for review. Human Resources will forward qualified applicants to SEC.
- Full-time staff with at least two years experience may apply to be a mentor
- Mentor must be an employee whose performance has been documented as satisfactory and is not on any form of progressive improvement plan
- Mentor participation is strictly voluntary
- Supervisor approval will be requested when an applicant is assigned to a new employee
- Introduce self and mentor program to the new employee as soon as possible after date of hire
- Touch base with new employee at least monthly during the first year of employment
- Introduce new employee to colleagues around campus that they may not have had an opportunity to meet
- Remind new employee of upcoming staff development and social events and encourage him/her to attend
- Refer new employee to proper source if there are questions about employee’s department, college policies, etc.