Motor Pool Requests and Guidelines

The college maintains a limited number of vehicles for the use by its employees while they are engaged in college business. In addition, an employee may use his or her own vehicle for college business in accordance with the guidelines below.

Employee Automobile Usage Guidelines

  • A limited number of vehicles will be maintained in a Motor Pool for use by individual employees. Prior approval by the appropriate department supervisor is required.
  • Employees are not permitted to use college vehicles for non-business purposes.
  • Every employee who drives a vehicle on college business must possess a valid driver’s license and, where applicable, maintain at least the minimum amount of insurance required by Pennsylvania law. In addition, no employee is permitted, under any circumstances, to operate a college vehicle (or a personal vehicle for college business) when any physical or mental impairment causes the employee to be unable to operate a vehicle safely or legally.
  • Any employee driving on college business may claim reimbursement for travel expenses such as parking fees and tolls incurred by submitting a travel expense form to the Accounting Office. An employee who uses his/her personal vehicle for business purposes will receive a mileage allowance for such usage to cover the cost of gasoline, oil, depreciation and insurance. The mileage allowance is set by the Accounting Department in accordance with the IRS allowance guidelines. For current rates please contact the Accounting Office.
  • Claims for mileage allowance and other expense reimbursements must be submitted on a travel reimbursement form and approved by the employee’s supervisor and forwarded to the Accounting Office for payment to occur on the next monthly accounts payable cycle.
  • Employees using college vehicles must report any malfunctions or maintenance requirements to the Motor Pool Coordinator. A check-off list is distributed with each key pack assigned. There is a designated area on this form to list problems with the vehicle. (You may also use the back of the form if more space is needed.) Additionally, each employee is responsible for removing personal possessions and trash from the vehicle prior to turning the car back to the Motor Pool.
  • Employees must report to the Motor Pool Coordinator any accident involving college vehicles regardless of the extent of the damage or injuries. A claims kit can be found in a marked green envelope in the glove box. Such reports must be made as soon as possible but no later than within twenty-four hours of the accident. Employees are expected to cooperate fully with the authorities in the event of an accident. Employees must report any accident involving a personal vehicle directly to the employee’s automobile insurance company. The college is not responsible for any loss to an employee’s personal vehicle used on college business unless the loss is caused by a college owned vehicle.
  • Time spent by a non-exempt employee in driving a college or personal automobile on college business during normal working hours shall be considered hours worked for payroll purposes. Travel outside of normal working hours is not considered as hours worked.
  • Anyone who operates a college owned van must have a current “Gator” license in their possession. For license information contact Officer Robert Wright at ext. 3352 or e-mail him at
  • Motor Pool Vehicles are not to be left at the Airport Parking Lots while traveling. Employees would need to have someone drive and pick them up at the airport.

Motor Pool Operations

The Motor Pool is operated out of the Office of Security. The Office Manager will coordinate all reservations requests.

Please read the following rules:

Reservations: Reservations may be made by writing the Motor Pool Coordinator at Box 148, calling ext. 3372. College owned vehicles will be reserved on a first come, first serve basis.

Rentals from outside agencies will be the user’s responsibility. Any department contracting for an auto rental should contact the Budget & Treasury Management Office (ext. 4799) to discuss insurance on the vehicle, prior to driving the vehicle.

The following information should be supplied when writing or calling:

  • The name(s) of the person(s) who will be driving (driver must possess current and valid drivers license for two years)
  • Department account number to be charged for vehicle usage
  • Date and time the vehicle will be picked up and dropped off
  • Destination
  • Purpose of the trip
  • Passenger List

Vehicles may be reserved in advance for specified hours or days for a complete academic term if all dates are known.

Pick Up Procedures: Keys may be picked up and returned at the Office of Safety and Security which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Vehicles will be picked up and returned from Lot #14 (BEside the Library on Sherman Street). This area has been reserveed for Motor Pool vehicles.

When the keys are picked up, you will receive an envelope containing the keys, gas card(s), and a check-off list. The check-off list contains information that you will need to provide the Motor Pool Office upon your return, including the condition of the vehicle and the beginning/ending mileage.

Drop Off Procedures: The vehicle must be returned to the Motor Pool parking lot previously noted by the scheduled return time.

The driver is responsible for cleaning out the vehicle, filling out the check-off list and returning the keys, gas card(s), gas card receipts, and the check-off list in the envelope provided. This envelope must be dropped off at the Motor Pool Office at the same time the vehicle is returned.

Charges: The expense for the use of a vehicle will be charged back to the department using the vehicle.

The usage chart for a 12 or 15 passenger van is $10.00/day or $0.75/mile, whichever is greater. Minivans are $0.65/mile or $10.00/day, and cars are charged at $0.54/mile or $10.00/day. These prices include the cost of gasoline and oil. Please note that the gasoline credit cards are not to be used for any items other than gasoline or oil.

Any other travel expenses incurred such as tolls and parking fees should be reported on a travel expense report and submitted to the Accounting Office for reimbursement.

Whenever a vehicle has been returned in an unclean condition, there will be a $20 charge for cleaning.

When a vehicle is not picked up or returned as scheduled, the account number given at the time of the reservation will be charged $50.00.

When damage is done to a vehicle, the cost of repairs not covered by insurance will be charged back to the user’s account number. The insurance deductible for a college owned vehicle is $1,000.00.

Miscellaneous: In case of a breakdown, 1. Try to determine what the problem is. 2. If your dash warning lights tell you not to operate the vehicle, don’t. 3. Call 911 if vehicle is in a hazardous location, such as a throughway, etc. 4. Notify Safety and Security via cell phone, they will arrange or direct you for service either locally or on the road. 5. Safety and Security is open 24/7 and will always be of service. (This information is on the back of the gator card)

In case of an accident, an accident form must be completed and turned in to the Motor Pool Office with the envelope containing the keys, gas card(s), and check-off list. Blank accident forms will be located in the glove compartment of each vehicle. Failure to report an accident may result in revoking Motor Pool privileges for that individual.

Emergency Procedure: 1. Report all accidents immediately to the police by calling 911. 2. Report your accident immediately to Safety and Security at 814-332-3357. 3. Fill out accident report form in your vehicle and return it to Safety and Security. (This information is on the back of the gator card.)

Any loss or damage to equipment or property incurred while renting a vehicle from an outside agency should be reported immediately to the Budget & Treasury Management Office (ext. 4799).

Emergency procedure information is also located in the glove compartment of each vehicle, along with the insurance and vehicle registration cards.

If it becomes necessary for the driver who picked up the vehicle to have a substitute driver, the first driver is still responsible to the Motor Pool for that vehicle, its operation and its return.