Rotary scholarships are administered by Rotary International, and students must be nominated by a Rotary Club. One may apply for study in various foreign countries. Scholarships are awarded for a year of post-graduate study, all expenses paid, and are very generous. Rotary Scholars are expected to be well-rounded students and good ambassadors, and are expected to address Rotary Club meetings abroad and undertake similar duties.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Record of academic success.
- Proficiency in the study country language, as well as knowledge of home as well as host country.
- Willingness to study in a country that does not typically host Ambassadorial Scholars.
- Interest in a study field that has a direct impact on the humanitarian needs of the world
- Professional appearance.
- Commitment to community service.
- Committed to Rotary goals and programs.
- Well-defined and realistic goals.
- Maturity and seriousness of purpose.
- Flexibility, sense of humor.
- Public speaking ability.
Nature of the Award
- Up to $26,000
- Tuition, fees
- Round-trip travel, room and board
- Some educational supplies
Nature of the Scholarship
- 2 years completed college
- OR high school and 2 years at work in a recognized work vocation
Very competitive, depending partly on the host country desired.
Application materials are available November through December. Apply through local rotary clubs, deadlines vary from September through December. Applicants will receive notification of study assignment between September 15th and December.