Interdisciplinary Studies

Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Major and Minor

Explore gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, abilities, socioeconomic status, nationality, and religion as central formations in communication & media, law & policy, health & wellbeing, education & scientific inquiry, and visual, performative, and creative arts. You'll work with faculty and students across campus to think creatively about how to address some of the most pressing issues we face in the 21st-century–from climate change to health disparities, reproductive justice to (im)migration, and from gendered violence to LGBTQ+ rights.

student in class

Your Four-Year Journey

Students often combine Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies with a major or minor in Biology, Dance & Movement Studies, Community and Justice Studies, Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Psychology, or Studio Art.

Your first year will introduce you to key concepts in the field, teach you how to ask new questions about gender, race, class, disabilities, and nationalities, and allow you to explore ways to contribute to social change.

Through courses on social movements or queer lives, you’ll learn to connect history with contemporary issues and reflect on their everyday experiences as a part of a global community. You will also begin to build your own interdisciplinary program in consultation with your advisor.

In your third year, you will be introduced to the role theory plays in weaving activism and research while further developing your areas of interest.

You’ll focus on global conditions and transnational dimensions in the field, take a capstone course that is deeply connected to relevant social issues, and with your mentors build a Senior Comp that is meaningful to your life and future endeavors.

Career Outcomes

93

of Allegheny graduates are employed, in grad school, or in full-time service within six months.

80+

Acceptance rate to graduate and professional school for Allegheny students

Emily Eckert, Alumna

Class of 2014; Manager, Health Policy at American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)

“ The Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program helped launch my career in women’s health policy. The program taught me to think critically, ask difficult questions, and challenge my own biases and privilege. It also taught me that my voice and perspective has value. Since leaving Allegheny, I continue to integrate the lessons I learned from the curriculum into my professional and personal life. ”