Frequently Asked Questions

Does Allegheny provide scholarships or financial aid to international students?

Yes. All international applicants will be considered for scholarships ranging from $5,000 to $28,000 per year. This is a merit-based scholarship and is assessed when you apply. Allegheny is looking for high-achieving international students who challenge themselves both inside and outside of the classroom and who display a high level of interest in the College. Students who display unusual combinations of interests, skills, and talents will receive extra consideration.

Does Allegheny offer scholarships that cover all costs?

No. International applicants might qualify for one of our prestigious merit based scholarship, however; these students may also be responsible for covering costs such as room and board, books, international health insurance, and incidental expenses.

Does Allegheny offer support services for international students?

Yes. The International Education and Services office provides support to help you integrate into campus and community life and also provides general information on immigration materials and other resources. Learn more about the International Education and Services office and the services it provides here.

What standardized tests are required for international students?

Allegheny College requires the submission of TOEFL or IELTS scores to determine English proficiency or Non-Native English Speaking International Applicants. Even if you have taken the SAT or ACT, you must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
For Native English Speaking International Applicants, Allegheny College requires the submission of the SAT or ACT scores. It is not necessary to submit the TOEFL or IELTS.

I have already graduated from college with a bachelor’s degree. Can I enter a graduate program at Allegheny College?

No, Allegheny is a purely undergraduate institution that awards B.A. and B.S. degrees.

When will I receive notice of Allegheny’s decision on my application?

You will be notified on or before April 1.

When will I receive my financial aid award decision?

You will find that information in your decision letter, which is sent on or before April 1.

When will I receive my I-20 form?

Only students who have been accepted by Allegheny receive I-20 forms. Once you have been accepted, your I-20 form will be mailed to you. If you wish to accept Allegheny’s offer of admission, you must submit a non-refundable deposit of $400 by May 1.

How can I check the status of my application?

Any questions regarding your application status should be directed to the International Admissions Coordinator,, or by phone at (814)-332-4351.

Immigration Information

Most international students will study at Allegheny on an F-1 visa.

To obtain an F-1 visa, a foreign citizen must furnish his or her home country’s U.S. consulate with proof of ability to meet educational expenses, along with a Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 visa (this is the I-20 form). I-20 forms for incoming foreign students are issued by Allegheny College only after a student has been admitted and returned a completed Certificate of Financial Responsibility.

Please click here for more specific information on matters associated with being an international student with an F-1 student visa in the U.S.

If you are a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, regardless of whether or not you reside in the U.S., you are considered to be a domestic student for purposes of application.

International students who are currently in the U.S. on a different visa (e.g., a high school F-1 visa or an H-4) should indicate their current visa class on their applications. If you have any questions about studying at Allegheny without changing your status to F-1, please contact the International Student Services Office.