What Is A Bonner Scholar?
The Bonner Scholarship is offered to select students who demonstrate a commitment to community service and exhibit academic excellence. Preference is given to students with a high financial need.
A Bonner’s Commitment
- Bonner Scholars serve 300 hours (8-10 hours per week) with a local community organization during each academic year for four years at Allegheny College. This is in addition to academic study and co-curricular activities.
- Bonner Scholars receive compensation through Federal Work-Study during the academic year.
- Bonner Scholars commit 2 summers to the program during their college years: the first summer is spent in Meadville performing service at their host site, the second summer is spent in a national or international service internship.
- Bonner Scholars attend the New Bonner Orientation in August prior to Allegheny’s Orientation.
- Bonner Scholars participate in regular meetings and leadership trainings.
- Bonner Scholars attend a fall overnight retreat and a one day spring training.
- Bonner Scholars participate in a first-year service trip and a second-year service exchange with another college/university Bonner Program.
All Bonner Scholars receive:
- A combination of grants, scholarships and loans to meet total documented need based on the FAFSA
- $2,500 during the school year to support educational costs (books, transportation, personal expenses, tuition, etc.) $1,250 is applied toward the student bill each academic semester, Fall and Spring, to cover these educational costs.
- Up to $2,500 in work study funds for the hours completed during the school year.
- Summer stipends during the first summer in Meadville and the 2nd Summer Away.
- Summer housing on campus at a reduced cost.
A completed application must be submitted to the office of Civic Engagement, part of the Allegheny Gateway. Selected candidates will be interviewed as part of the application process.
Complete applications should include:
- Your completed application form and essays
- Two references
For more information contact Olivia Lang (email@example.com) (or by phone at (814) 332-5318.