Major and Career Exploration Resources
What Can I Do With This Major?
This is a wonderful online resource to use for exploration of different interests and career options. Learn about typical career areas and types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
Explore the skills, education, and employment trends of over 1,000 different occupations. O*NET is sponsored by the Employment & Training Administration and The U.S. Department of Labor.
Offers inside look at organizations through company reviews, salary reports, and personal interview experiences. All information is shared by employees who currently work at the company.
Our career counselors utilize several self-assessments to help you clarify relationships between your personal values, personality type, and professional interests. Each counselor is certified in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, and has received training in the use of the Self Directed Search, Life Values Inventory, and career card sorts. Assessments are a wonderful way to measure guiding principles that help define priorities in your life and career. We strongly encourage you to take assessments throughout your lifetime since values and interests may change over time in response to influential personal events.
Questions to Ask Yourself:
When beginning to search for career opportunities, take a moment to answer a few of the questions below. Keep in mind there is no right or wrong answer because it is all about you!
- “What do I do well and enjoy?”
- “What’s important to me?” In other words, what are your values?
- “How important is work/life balance to me?”
- “What are my key accomplishments? What am I most proud of?”
- “What work environments do I prefer?”
- “Do I prefer to communicate in writing or verbally?”
- “How do I approach problems?” Think back to your past problem-solving tactics — what’s worked for you, and what hasn’t?
Schedule an Appointment
Explore your skills, interests, and abilities by scheduling an appointment through Handshake today!