November 22, 1863

Camp of 4th Pa. Cavalry

Near Brooks Station, Va. 

[no date; probably c. November 22, 1863]] 

Dear Father

Being on a visit here before going to Washington and John Maitland intending to go home I have asked him to take a little money home for me—$75.00. I might have sent $25. more had I known it before coming here, but I did not know of an opportunity of sending by any one so I send what I happened to have in my pocket at the time. I sent $100. to Meadville by Lieut. Phelps who deposited it with Buck Brawley until called for. Please send one of the boys to Meadville for it—or make such disposition of it as suits you. Buck B. has it as I had a letter from him yesterday. If Frank goes to College this spring he might use it and save the trouble of sending for it now.
                I do not know when I will get up to Washington with the Division, but I expect to do so soon.
                I have seen Jim Troutman, Sam Bickle, Harrison Lusher, Robert Seaton and others from Venango County—they are all well.
                You will see John Maitland of course who can tell you all about the boys and matters in general. I know of nothing to write you that would interest you.
                I mailed a letter to mother day before yesterday containing a roll of my Company etc. Hoping to hear from you all I will close.

Yours affy,     J. D. Chadwick.      

Next posting: December 8, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville,  PA 16335