December 8, 1863

Warrenton Junction, Va.

December 8th, 1863

Dear Father:

Your letter of Novr.30th has just been received. I sent you $10. in a letter which I mailed about Novr. 16th—its receipt has not been acknowledged yet and I fear it has been lost. Let me know if you got it. You talk of the boys being drafted next January—I do not wish to hear of their coming into the army as private soldiers as long as $300 will buy them out for three years. After having tried the thing on I can speak from experience. In three years time they can each earn $300 i.e. $8 per month if they have to go to some town and hire out as stable boys or shoe-blacks. Then if they have any inclination towards improvement they will be their own masters. I repeat again that I never want a brother in the Army as an enlisted man. If either of them could enter the service as a commissioned officer I would not have so much objection, but I have seen enough of the treatment of the private soldier to completely disgust me. In my Regiment, from the Commanding Officer down, I esteem myself, (may be I am an egotist) the superior of every one of them in mental attainments, socially, and perhaps in morals, yet I am a soldier and they are officers. Besides their advantages in privileges, they are paid from $200 @ $105 per month while I who am a soldier—though doing the most work and suffering the most privations, get $13. Perhaps neither of the boys if drafted would be accepted—anyway they must not come into the Army as long as $300 will exempt them.
                You said that John Barr had talked of remaining in the service after the expiration of his three years—he couldn’t do better for he is a 1st Lieut. And gets about $30 per month—besides he is acting as a quarter master and is not necessarily exposed to bullets or inclement weather.
                Tell Mother I would like some shirts very well but they cannot be sent to me handily—no matter however—for I won’t suffer for clothing. I have on one of those gray wollen shirts she sent me by Jo Ross but I have to keep the collar open as it chokes me. I had a letter from Jno. Jolly a few days since. He and family are well. Nothing more.

Affy,    J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: December 17, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335