December 24, 1863

Warrenton Junction, Va.

Decr. 24th, 1863 

Dear Father:

Your letter mailed on the 16th ult. was received last Monday. You say you have not heard from me for a long time and think I must be sick, or that something has happed to me. You are wrong in the supposition. I never enjoyed better health than at present. I do not understand why you have not received my letters for the past few weeks. I have not failed to write to you, Mother or some member of the family every week. On the 16th of last month I mailed $10 to Mother’s address. Not having heard from it I have asked twice if it had been received. There is no doubt in my mind that it is lost and perhaps purloined from the mail before reaching Washington. I know of several who have lost money through the mails lately—I think I will cease remitting money in that way.
                We are still guarding the R. R. No news at all with the Army of the Potomac. We all have built long shanties for winter quarter, and are living quite comfortable. I have heard nothing from “Old Guni” for a long time—his Regiment, the 5th Pa. Cavalry, is still on the Peninsula. There is quite an excitement here among some of the Regiments about reinlisting. Many have gone in for three years longer. Excellent bounties are offered and men who can do nothing better at home may do well enough to reinlist. For me, “I can’t see it” in that light. Patriotism brought me out here in the first place and induced me to sacrifice three years of the best part of my life. Money can’t induce me to spend another three years as a soldier. If the proposed amendment to the conscription act is passed, repealing the $300 exemption clause it will institute a fine opening for enterprising young men in the north, won’t it? I think I will try to faithfully serve out the balance of my time and then consider that I have done my duty towards my country—for the present at least.
                It is a glowing theme and very nice to talk about—this “transmitting to posterity a great and glorious Government”, but under what obligations am I to “posterity”? “Posterity” has never done anything for me. I do not know that any of the Rockland boys have reinlisted. All of the boys with whom you are acquainted are enjoying good health.
                I omitted to say that I also received Frank’s letter mailed the same day as yours. I will answer it next week. Enclosed is a picture of the “man across the river” who has so frequently been a trouble and vexation to us. It is for Mary. Tell her that I am looking for another letter from her soon. Hoping that I may live to meet my brothers and sisters around my father’s table at home once more, I will close.
                                    Your affectionate Son,      J. D. Chadwick 

Next posting: January 6, 2014

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335