February 5, 1864

Bristol Station, Va.

February 5, 1864

Dear Father,

Yesterday I received your letter of January 27, also, a note from Mary. I do not know why it is that I do not get the Rockland mail regularly on Sundays of each week. Now and then it don’t come until Thursday or Friday. I am glad to know that the boys are doing well in their schools. It seems to me almost incredible that Miles is 21 years of age.  Two brothers who are now men! You say that Frank will perhaps teach in Pine Grove “if he don’t go to war”.  Well, he must not “go to war” if money can exempt him—or Miles either. I never want a brother to enter the Army as “an enlisted man”. If  the boys cannot get exempted on account of disability (if drafted) borrow money and pay the exemption I will help to pay it back when I get out of the service if I have to earn it as a railroad paddy with my pick and shovel.
The fame of Wils. Davis’ exploits have already reached us here. I never heard of any relatives of the name of Chandler in Clarion County. Miss M. A. Chandler? Whose daughter is she—John’s or Richard’s? Don’t forget to tell me when you write again.
Your using the money I sent home was perfectly right—that was what I sent it for. I never paid any attention to your account of money given me while at school—I have an indisti[n]ct recollection of signing a “memorandum” but for what amount I have long since forgotten. Knowing that my father was a much different man from Old Dan (Squire) in the treatment of his Children, such things never troubled me. How much was the amount you furnished me? I have always intended to refund the money, as I have a desire to consider myself a self-made man (if I ever amount to anything). Has Domer repaid the money borrowed to take him through College? I hear that he has not paid Myers his exemption money.
Were I a free man today I could get a position tomorrow at $1200 per year. It is offered me—but here I am—and can’t resign. Never mind—it is all for the best—I have learned many a lesson since I have been under my Father’s roof, worth knowing. “The School of experience” is not so bad after all is said. A man to understand the ways of the world, must be knocked about a little and meet with difficulties and adversities. If rightly taken, he will be a better man, and better fitted to buffet with a cold and heartless world. According to an old adage “difficulties are to a strong man, what the strop is to the razor.”
When we will be discharged is still the perplexing question—nobody can find out for sure. I had a letter from John Jolly a few days since—he is teaching school. His family are well. I have not heard from Evrill or Sylvanus since I last wrote you. No Army news to give you, as everything remains in statu quo. I presume the veterans will begin to come back this week. Many have not yet received their furloughs, but are expecting to get them in a short time.
The Rockland boys are all as well as usual. I think of nothing more that might interest you. It seems to me that I were in your place, I could fill more than a part of a half sheet of paper.
You have no idea how we all enjoy news from home. I would like to hear from every member of the family weekly if it might be convenient.
Hoping for your health and safety,
Your Son

Jas

Next posting: February 11,  2014

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335