March 18, 1864

Bristol Station, Va .                                                                                                                                                                                                               March 18, 1864

Dear Father,

Your letter dated the 15th and written in Phila. was received by last evening’s mail. I need not say that I was glad you wrote. As you propose to remain in that city a few days I will write a note as you requested. The boys wrote to me that there was fresh excitement in regard to the oil speculations in Venango Co. What is the occasion of it? Has oil been obtained in a quantity along the river below Franklin? You spoke of selling your oil lands—how many lots do you intend to sell if you can get a fair price and which ones are they? How much of the river beach do you now own—I think you told me before I came away you had about five miles in different localities. What has become of the Haggerty and Forker tract on Sandy, where the oil bubbled out of the ground, above the mill-dam? Write and let me know something about your oil speculations, for I am curious to hear how they stand.
                You spoke of visiting me if you knew you could find me readily. Well, I would be very glad to see you, and would do my utmost to make you comfortable as long as you might remain, but you would find the accommodations not just as good as at the “Continental”. You would not have much difficulty in finding me where I am at present. Bristol is 4 miles South of Manassas on the railroad. We are liable to move now at any time, however, in which case you might have difficulty in finding me. I will not advise you to come, though I would be glad to see you.
                I have but four months at most, to stay now, and am waiting impatiently for the expiration of the time. Recruits and Veterans are coming back by hundreds every day. It is said that the Army is to be reorganized and consolidated into three Corps. A general desire exists in the Army that Abraham Lincoln continue another term in the Presidential Chair.
                I wish I could go with you to N. Y. and Boston—but wishing don’t do as much good here as under many other circumstances. I have no news in particular to give you—all the Venango boys are well—Coop Cochran has been commissioned as Captain of Co. “C” vice Over promoted to Major. Though Coop has not done altogether right at all times I think it is right that he should have the position.
                Expecting to hear from you soon again I will close.
                Remember me kindly the Davis boys,  and those young ladies of whom you wrote—the latter were my school-mates.
                                                I am affy
                                                                Your son

J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: March 21, 1864

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335