We regretfully share the news that Commencement, planned for Saturday, May 9, will be postponed.
This decision was based on the CDC recommendation that, during the next eight weeks, organizers cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the U.S. We understand that this necessary postponement will come as a tremendous disappointment to our graduating seniors, and we are firmly committed to celebrating the Class of 2020 and their achievements at a later date.
Updated: March 17, 2020
The safety and security of all graduates and their guests is of great importance to Allegheny College. The following security measures will be in effect throughout Commencement Weekend events and ceremony. We thank you in advance for your cooperation with these important precautions.
For your comfort:
- Dress for the weather
- Water stations will be available
The following items and activities are PROHIBITED :
- Firearms or weapons of any kind;
- Any knife with a fixed blade or a blade larger than 4 inches;
- Fireworks or other explosive material;
- Hard coolers or coolers/bags on wheels;
- Pets (Service dogs will be permitted);
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Laser pointers;
- Horns, whistles, or other noisemakers that create a nuisance or disturbance;
- Mace, pepper spray, or similar substances;
- Glass containers, unless necessary for baby formula or medication;
- Objects that obstruct another person’s view of the ceremony (The use of umbrellas is not restricted, but those who use an umbrella are asked to be considerate of those around and behind them.)
Commencement Weekend enhanced security procedures are as follows:
- Allegheny College Public Safety and professional security personnel will monitor all entry points to the Commencement site.
- All bags and persons may be subject to screening when entering the Commencement site.
- Please consider the appearance of some objects, such as key ring tools/accessories, and leave anything that could be perceived as dangerous at home or in your hotel room. We are not able to provide a storage area for these items; prohibited items listed above will be removed and not returned.
- Unruly, disruptive or illegal behavior is prohibited. Any guest who acts in an unsafe manner, presenting hazard or risk to persons or property, may be subject to ejection, revocation of future venue privileges.
Paramedics and an ambulance will be available on Commencement day beginning at 12:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Anyone who sees anything suspicious should immediately contact the Office of Public Safety at 814-332-3357.
For Our Campus Visitors:
Your safety is extremely important to Allegheny College. Our campus emergency notification system, ALERTAllegheny, keeps the campus informed about emergency situations that may occur on campus.
ALERTAllegheny delivers time-sensitive emergency notifications via email, text messaging, website alerts, social media and outdoor warning sirens to members of the Allegheny community. Messages may be sent for weather incidents such as a tornado, or emergency situations such as an explosive device or active assailant, or if the College changes its operating status due to an emergency or weather event.
To enroll your cellphone to receive text messages, sign up here.