The safety and security of all graduates and their guests is of great importance to Allegheny College. The following security measures will be in effect throughout Commencement Weekend events and ceremony. We thank you in advance for your cooperation with these important precautions.
For Your Comfort
- Dress for the weather
- Water stations will be available
- Face coverings are required
Prohibited Items & Activities
- Firearms or weapons of any kind;
- Any knife with a fixed blade or a blade larger than 4 inches;
- Fireworks or other explosive material;
- Hard coolers or coolers/bags on wheels;
- Pets (Service dogs will be permitted);
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Laser pointers;
- Horns, whistles, or other noisemakers that create a nuisance or disturbance;
- Mace, pepper spray, or similar substances;
- Glass containers, unless necessary for baby formula or medication;
- Objects that obstruct another person’s view of the ceremony (The use of umbrellas is not restricted, but those who use an umbrella are asked to be considerate of those around and behind them.)
Commencement Weekend Enhanced Security Procedures
- Allegheny College Public Safety and professional security personnel will monitor all entry points to the Commencement site.
- All bags and persons may be subject to screening when entering the Commencement site.
- Please consider the appearance of some objects, such as key ring tools/accessories, and leave anything that could be perceived as dangerous at home or in your hotel room. We are not able to provide a storage area for these items; prohibited items listed above will be removed and not returned.
- Unruly, disruptive or illegal behavior is prohibited. Any guest who acts in an unsafe manner, presenting hazard or risk to persons or property, may be subject to ejection, revocation of future venue privileges.
Public Health and Safety Expectations
Allegheny College follows the guidance of the Allegheny College Health Agency, informed by the State of Pennsylvania, the Centers for Disease Control, and other applicable agencies. We expect everyone to:
- Participate in the Allegheny Community of Mutual Care as expressed in theGator Pledge for Commencement. You and your guests will be asked to sign this pledge when you check-in.
- Wear face coverings at all times (including for photographs taken on-site).
- Maintain at least six feet of distance from non-family members. We regret that this means no hugging!
- Follow all of the applicable public health and safety guidance in effect on the day of Commencement.
- Refrain from attending if you are traveling from one of the states on the PA COVID-19 quarantine list, you should not plan on attending Commencement. This list is regularly updated by the state, usually on a Friday.
Isolation prior to travel
To the extent it is possible, we ask that graduates and their guests isolate for four days prior to attending Commencement OR that they are extra vigilant with face coverings, physical distancing, and hand hygiene so as to minimize the possibility of infection prior to travel.
Paramedics and an ambulance will be available on Commencement day.
Anyone who sees anything suspicious should immediately contact the Office of Public Safety at 814-332-3357.
For Campus Visitors
Your safety is extremely important to Allegheny College. Our campus emergency notification system, ALERTAllegheny, keeps the campus informed about emergency situations that may occur on campus.
ALERTAllegheny delivers time-sensitive emergency notifications via email, text messaging, website alerts, social media and outdoor warning sirens to members of the Allegheny community. Messages may be sent for weather incidents such as a tornado, or emergency situations such as an explosive device or active assailant, or if the College changes its operating status due to an emergency or weather event.Sign up for ALERTAllegheny